'08 RAV4 brake pads

No pulsation as of yet.

I am not trying to stop you from using aftermarket pads, I just think you are blaming your short pad life on the parts when it may be a problem caused by road salt and the design of the rear disc brakes themselves. Edit- I went back and read your original post, you got 50000 miles out of them, in my book that is perfectly ok and as a matter of fact really good in Jersey traffic. Use whatever pads you want to.

Based on what happened with my dealer lying to me I have even more of a reason to go aftermarket as the shop recommends.

Your dealer lied toyou? Why, just because the first service writer gave you a quote replacing the rotors and the second gave you a quote for resurfacing them ? Grow up.

And don’t ask for advise when what you want is validation. Daytime talk shows are for that.

db4690, I’m not saying that AutoZone pads come from the same factory as Toyota and so on. I have no idea who manufactures pads for Toyota and NIssan. A lot of this type of thing is murky.

What I am saying is that all of those parts are subcontracted out and many aftermarket pads (along with everything else) are made by the same company that manufactures the pads for car makers.

AutoZone brand gaskets and seals are manufactured by Fel-Pro.
TRW sells suspension/steering components under their name, a plethora of other names, and provides the same parts to many car manufacturers.
Store brand Precision bearings are made by NSK, SKF, and a couple of other manufacturers who sell bearings under their own proprietary names.

It’s now out of operation but a gigantic Ford remanufacturing plant here produced reman parts for many decades. Everything from water pumps to engines.
So the guy who left his broken down Chevy pickup at the Chevy dealer for a remanufactured transmission probably thought he was getting a “quality GM reman unit”. Probably not.
That Ford authorized factory with the huge FORD sign on the building remanned transmissions en masse under contract for General Motors. Of course the trans would arrive in a GM crate…

It’s all like Cajun cooking; a bit of everything from the swamp has been tossed in.

@old timer 11
Out of respect to this thread please read above to understand what truly happened at the dealer. As far as me “growing up” I tend to ignore those who don’t choose to “read” before posting a foolish comment. Your just making yourself look bad.

I must say I love these posts where people have the energy to argue vs speak politely about the issue at hand.

I call those people a “waste of time”… why?
They have nothing else better to do, but to argue with someone since their entire childhood they were probably bullied.

Those people should “grow up”

Based on the thicknesses of the brake pads . . . thank you for providing that information, by the way . . . they are thin enough to be making noise

I’m saying that based on years of experience. Yes, when brakes get that thin, they often make noise, even the factory pads

You got good service. 50K is nothing to be scoffed at. And from those measurements, you’re not even down to the audible wear indicators yet. If you tried, you could probably get 60K out of them, which would be quite amazing

You have read lots of good accounts of those posi-quiet brake pads

That’s fine

But I have serviced hundreds, probably thousands of brakes. And my experience has been outstanding with factory brakes. Not so with aftermarket brakes

You’re apparently speaking, based on what you’ve read

I’m speaking, based on my own, firsthand, experience

Yes, by all means . . . let’s keep going round and round

This is actually good, clean fun

“They have nothing else better to do, but to argue with someone since their entire childhood they were probably bullied.”

Speak for yourself

And the way you worded it, it sounds like you might think if somebody is bullied, it’s their own fault

I certainly hope that’s not how you meant it

Bullying is nothing to make light of

@hcord13:
I’m glad you found a good independent shop who seemingly served you well.

However, if you spend some time here, you’ll see how naive it is to discount the input you got from this forum as much as you did. The contributors’ rich diverse experiences and genuine interest to help for nothing in return is both unique and valuable.

I am not here to “prove” anything or to talk down to others. I will say that as much as others have talked down to me I have successfully ignored them…what a waste of space.

Thanks for all lof the help. It’s priceless as they say. Once there is a need for me to replace my pads with the Centric brand I’ll report back.

Thank you for your time and input to those who have contributed comments that made sense to read.

Price quotes can vary depending upon whether rotors are surfaced or replaced. The former is more labor intensive; the latter is higher price-wise in regards to parts.

@hcord13

“Thank you for your time and input to those who have contributed comments that made sense to read.”

Thank you

All of the people that responded to you “made comments that made sense to read.”

If you can’t or won’t see it like that, that is a shame

hcord13
I not only read your original post, I read all your subsequent posts, even the one you posted 3 times and I see nothing in your posts that tells me your dealership lied to you so I stand by my comments. You argued with most of the people who tried to give you well meaning advice and quite frankly , you sound like a shill for onr paticular company.

yup

@"oldtimer 11"‌

You certainly have the right to your own opinion, but I hate to say that your still wrong.

At this point I don’t see the thread as progressing anywhere. Perhaps it’s time to stop responding and let it go.
I would, however, appreciate your feedback if and when you do decide to try these pads. It’s always good to gain a bit more knowledge about what’s out there.

First. OP does say that his independent shop told him he doesn’t need to replace the pads when the dealership told him he does. Assuming the independent shop isn’t stupid (and sometimes that’s a big assumption - we don’t know anything about that shop and for all we know the independent shop is a jiffy lube that doesn’t replace brakes anyway) then the dealership was, at least, wrong in their assessment of what OP needed to do.

Second, that doesn’t excuse OP from being insufferable to people who are only trying to help him, and for the record, I believe OP is trying, clumsily, to create viral marketing buzz about Posi-Quiet.

And third, there is nothing magic about OEM parts. There isn’t a car maker on the planet that makes its own brake pads. They’re all contracted out to a pad manufacturer. Toyota contracts out to Akebono, among others. Then they put a Toyota logo on it and double the price.

There is also no truth to the belief that OEM parts are always superior. That is quite simply a myth. OEM parts are designed to to the job well enough to satisfy design requirements while costing as little money as possible to procure. A set of Porterfield R4S pads will almost always provide far better stopping power and fade resistance than OEM pads unless you’re talking about something special like a Porsche, but they’re also expensive as hell and so OEMs don’t tend to put them on because there aren’t a whole lot of Honda Civic customers who would notice the difference, care, or be willing to pay the premium. There’s more profit in using inferior but still perfectly adequate brake pads.

For the end consumer who does care, there is absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading to a superior aftermarket product.

@shadowfax‌

Perhaps I’m jumping to conclusions, but it sounds like you’re essentially saying that OEM parts are usually inferior . . .

@shadowfax‌ again…as I’ve stated to others…read the previous posts about the independent shop. Or better yet if you wanna be lazy and draw your own incorrect conclusions without reading back I’ll help you out.

The shop opened in 1987. They service Honda and Toyota customers only. They also service the 3 major hospitals in our area. They are very well known and thousands trust these judgment. They swear by these pads and rotors, but if someone really wants to, they will install oem.

Again…no I don’t work for or am trying to market Centric Posi Quiets…lol. The shop recommended them and I’m being a good boy and just doing some research. I am glad I didn’t waste $$$ with the dealer who wanted to shaft me with the oem parts with pads that still will last for a while.

“wanted to shaft me with the oem parts with pads that still will last for a while.”

I’m sorry, but those brake pad thicknesses you listed, ANY mechanic worth his salt would have recommended replacing the brake pads

The fact that you could have stretched those pads out a little longer does not mean they’re not low

Your brakes ARE low

You sound like guys that complain when a shop tries to sell them tires because they have 3/32" tread depth. Sure, it’s not quite down to the wear bars yet, but the tires are low

Please stop badmouthing the dealer

It sounds like they made pretty decent recommendations, and you’re trying to make them out to be the bad guys

they’re trying to do right by you, and you’re talking smack

shame on you