08 350z stuck cam timing chain tensioner

Hello i am working on some timing work on my 2008 350z touring. The tensioner on the passenger side cam timing assembly wont compress. The drivers side will easily compress, i can use 1 finger and it will compress all the way down. The other side i will push down with lots of force and it will barely even budge, and after it does move down just slightlyyy it wont budge at all. I would really not like to remove the tensioner as i am pretty inexperienced in engine work, and with the tensioner being stuck all the way out you cant slide the chain off because you have to remove the chain, and gears to even get to the tensioner. I’m already suprised ive made it as far as i have without breaking anything. But i also realize that timing is something you want go be extra cautious. Does anyone know if there’s anything i can do to get the tensioner unstuck? Would it be fine to leave alone because its stuck out so it will keep the chain tension?(i know it probably wont but cant hurt to ask). If i do have to replace for the tensioner how will i get the chain off with the tensioner all the way out, its already hard enough to get the chain off with the tensioner all the way compressed. Any help is appreciated! I apologise for any stupid questions.

STOP… STOP STOP… If you have not done this before you are in fairly deep water my friend. The tensioners are supposed to be very difficult to push in… as in using a vise to slowly walk them in before you pin them in the fully compressed position.

The one that goes in with one finger is shot…

I will be honest with you… youre in over your head. I’ve done hundreds of T chains and belts on all sorts of machines… DOHC, SOHC, T chains, Gear driven cams etc. You REALLY need to know what you are doing here and I don’t mean to sound like a jerk about it… Either study up real good or get someone who knows whats what to help you or hey maybe even a mechanic? This is not beginner class level stuff here. None of us can help you via a computer there are simply too many details to mention. I’m serious.

5 Likes

Timing work? Any more details? Kinda hate to be a learning experience after you crank motor and bend some valves.

Not to mention that particular engine is not the one on which to be doing a first time, beginner T belt/chain job. That engine is expensive and under the hood tight as hell… it has two heads…luckily only one cam per head tho… DOHC V motors are “interesting” to do T belts on but… these are deep deep waters for someone who isn’t familiar with the tensioner let alone the procedure.

I strongly advise the OP to get some assistance…

You need to remove the entire front cover of the engine to do a timing chain job…or whatever job it is that you think you are doing right now… I actually don’t know what job you are trying to accomplish besides grenading a perfectly good engine. Those tensioners need to come out and be compressed via a vise or special tool etc…

Jeezoo my man you are playing with fire here I cant keep writing…but you have me freaking out… I say stop… put the tools down…now…

The tensioners are supposed to be compressed by hand, timing cover is already off, i already set the timing myself. Only problem left is the one tensioner which i decided that i am going to just replace myself. Thank you for the help though.