'07 Highlander Hybrid battert

Our '07 Highlander Hybrid wouldn’t start after being parked for 2 wks; battery was replaced under warranty by dealer but we were asked to disconnect it in the future if it was to be parked 2 weeks. I wonder if they should have searched for a drain.

Check your owner’s manual for advice about extended parking. Two weeks shouldn’t be a problem. My car sits for two weeks at a time on a regular basis and it doesn’t hurt the battery.

ALL cars have constant battery drain for security system, radio station memory, etc., but it still shouldn’t kill a battery in just two weeks.

You could purchase a Battery Tender if you’re worried about this. This is not the same as a charger. A Tender will keep the battery fully charged without overcharging. Great little device, and not expensive.

“You could purchase a Battery Tender if you’re worried about this. This is not the same as a charger. A Tender will keep the battery fully charged without overcharging. Great little device, and not expensive.”

Yup, I use one on my motorcycle whenever it’s parked; infrequent use, small/expensive battery.

I don’t know the Highlander hybrid as well as Prius. Does it (also) have an unusually small 12 volt battery? Checking the parasitic load sounds like a good idea.

A common Prius problem is that once the 12 volt battery gets discharged, it loses capacity and such issues tend to return. All lead acid batteries are like that, but when you put a smallish one in a car, the issue becomes more likely.

DAS

Call Toyota, talk to regional representative. This is a warrantied car, and if it doesn’t work, it should not be your responsibility to fix it.