06 Jeep Wrangler gas consumptiona and oil change questions

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions: I have an 06 Jeep Wrangler Sport I bought last year as certified used and I love it and want to keep her in good condition. I feel like I burn a lot of gas, aside from replacing the spark plugs is there anything else I should be checking out? I am also wondering about which maintenance manual you suggest, I hear a lot of mixed reviews about Haynes vs Chilton, etc. My last questions pertain to oil changes; 3000 or 5000 miles? I do a lot of stop and start in my small town ( I know this contributes to gas consumption also) and I’m never sure when exactly to change my oil, I’ve been splitting the difference at 4000; do you recommend using oil additives like STP to ‘clean’ the engine and reduce sludge?
Thanks a million, hope you are all enjoying the 4th of July weekend, be safe.

Aimee

Do all your mtc by the intervals in the owners manual. Do not use oil additives. If you change your oil regularly, it will not sludge. My Camry says 5k miles or 6 months. I use the factory manual.

What kind of fuel mileage are you currently getting with a Wrangler anything beyond 16 MPG is outstanding.

I have an 06 Wrangler (not a Sport) and it’s not supposed to get more than 12 (yeah, I know) per gallon.

Your owner’s manual should come with a maintenance schedule, which will tell you all about what services you need and when you need them. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, you should follow the severe service schedule If you want to learn more, I think the Haynes manual is very helpful for this purpose, with a lot of plain English explanations and tons of clear photographs.

If you change your oil regularly, oil additives will not help you and will just be a waste of money as you will not need to worry about sludge. Changing your spark plugs will not help your fuel economy unless you have 150,000 miles on them and they are causing the engine to misfire. When you replace them, use the same thing the factory installed. Do not use gimmicky spark plugs like Pulstar or those multi-pronged things Bosch makes. They will not increase performance or fuel economy and will only cost more to purchase. Do not expect decent gas mileage out of your Wrangler. It is a specialty off road vehicle, not a commuter car, and will perform and consume fuel as such.