05 cummins wont start

Hello I have a 05 dodge Ram that periodically wont start after I stop at a store etc. I happens abou once a month and will start up after sitting for 1-8 hours.Ive had it to the dealer , diesel mechanics, etc. with no luck,( Cant reenact the problem and nothing shows on the computer).
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

We need a little more info. Does the starter turn the engine over? Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? With a diesel engine the troubleshooting is simplified somewhat since there is no ignition to worry about. If the starter turns the engine over with no problem…I would start looking at a “no fuel” situation. Your engine stops when you turn the key off by removing the fuel to the engine. I suspect a problem between the key switch and the fuel pump relay.

If the starter does not turn the engine over then it’s probably a bad neutral safety/clutch safety switch. An answer from you will get the ball rolling for better troubleshooting.

I do not know if it is like the bigger diesel engines that depend on oil pressure to enable fuel pressure, had a bear with that a couple of weeks ago. The mechanic rebuilt the oil pump, still no go, replaced the oil pump and life was good.

Thanks for the replys .
The engine turns over and I can get it to fire with starter fluid but the fuel doesnt get there.I dont know why it will start pumping again after it sits for awhile. I think the more I try to start it at first the longer it takes before it will start. I went on a cummins forum and found a place in Sacramento that specializes in diesel pumps and they want me to bring it in to pressure test the fuel system.
The problem between the switch and relay sounds like a great place to start Thanks

Try swapping the fuel pump relay with another one if they match up. A friends '01 Dodge had the same type of trouble and so far he hasn’t had the trouble return. The relay was in the distribution panel under the hood. We used the wiper relay to swap with.

+1 for Cougar. He beat me to the answer. The relays are only about $15 so I would just get a new one anyway.

Thanks, I swaped the fog lights relay with the pump relay This would be awsome if it works I ve lived with it for years now.

I guess we can’t guarantee it will work but hopefully it will. Please let us know what happens. It may help others in the future.