04 Camry Steering Universal Joint

I was at the dealer yesterday for a different problem and they found this problem too. They say that the universal joint for the steering column needs to be replaced. I have 48K on the car and the mechanic at the dealer said that this is a common problem with these cars.

I’m wondering if someone else has had similar problems with the steering column and how much was it to fix.

Is the steering wheel giving you a problem? This is very very unusual…Not just for Toyota’s…but ANY Make. Was this car ever in a accident??

I’d get a second opinion. I really have a hard time believing that this is a problem.

Yeh the car was in an accident but it was the driver driver side door that was damaged.
All the problem I have is nothing related to handling, I hear/feel rubbing grinding sound when I turn either way sometimes, usually when I’m stand still or trying to park.

I can’t see how this U-joint could wear out. It’s not like a U-joint found on a driveshaft where it rotates at high speed. Instead this U-joint only rotates as fast as the steering wheel is turned. Out of all the Camry’s I’ve owned and serviced, not one ever needed this component replaced.

You might want to get a second opinion on this repair.

Tester