04 BMW series

Hello, I have a light on in my dash that is orange and is a circle with a broken astrick around it. I have an extended warranity with no deductable but every time I go in to the shop it cost me hundreds of dollars I have a lot of receipts so I am not wanting to go back until I know what it is. My 3 series only has 56,000 miles on it and I hardly drive it right now I take the Metro North in to wk. Thank you I love your show and your wonderful sense of humor…

Connie Lent Mt. Kisco.

I wish I could identify your warning light, sorry. But you said “I have an extended warranity with no deductable but every time I go in to the shop it cost me hundreds of dollars” would you explain that? We get lots of folks asking about buying those warranties, and this would be a good example of the problems with them.

One more example of why no one should ever by one of those profit makers.

Do you have the owner’s manual. It should be there. Your description does not bring anything to mind. If it starts to flash, it is time to turn off the engine or plan on buying a new one.

Turn to page 19 of your owner’s manual. If the light has 3 broken lines to the left and right of the circle, have your brake pads checked. If the circle looks like it has gear teeth all around and an exclamation mark in the middle, it’s a transmission problem. If those aren’t the warning light, check pages 16 to 21 to find the right one. If you don’t have a manual, get it on line at this URL:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx