'02 Impala 3.4L 128k: Power Steering Fluid

'02 Impala 3.4L 128k: Power Steering Fluid

Which power steering fluid is used in this car? Neither the Haynes nor GM shop manuals are specific. Haynes manual says “use the right one” and the GM manual says “use ours”.

I’ve used DOT-3 Brake Fluid in my '97 Taurus for the Power Steering Fluid without any apparent problems (~ a year ago now). I still have some of this stuff left over in the original sealed container … can I use it, or do I have to buy a bottle that says “POWER STEERING FLUID” on it ???

I’m going to pick up a quart of Valvoline or GM PS fluid to drain and refill the power steering on my 2000 Blazer. The Valvoline meets GM Spec. 9985010. I used Ford Type F on my wife’s 98 Windstar.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/power-steering-products/power-steering-fluid/29

Ed B.

Brake fluid will DESTROY your power steering system, the whole package. The reservoir, the hoses and the seals in the pump and steering rack. A $1500 (at least) mistake…

Went with the Prestone 32oz bottle for $3.17 at Wal-Mart. Says on the back label “formulated for GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most foreign cars and light trucks”, which was good enough for me.

Probably should mention that there were actually TWO (red) 32 oz. Prestone bottles on the shelf: one said “Helps Stop Squeals” and the other said something about stopping leaks. Never a believer in the “stop leaks” products, I went with the ‘Squeal’ fluid. Hopefully this quiets things down until I have time to address the problem further…

Caddyman: Turns out I probably did NOT use the DOT-3 on the Taurus after all. I looked in my Ford manuals today (as well as the Haynes manual) to see what I had done for the Ford (last December) and it said to use Mercon tranny fluid - so that’s what I must’ve used. I’ve got LOTS of spare Mercon tranny fluid laying around and I wouldn’t have used the DOT-3 against what the manuals said. I’m thinking now that the DOT-3 fluid was left over from my Mitsubishi. Wish my records were a tad bit more specific here …