Wildlife -- and your car

Are you sure what you’re seeing is indeed our friendly North American marsupial? Although they aren’t closely related, opossums can look very similar to rats. Similar coloring, both have a naked tail, both have a somewhat pointy face and dark eyes. Do you have any way to estimate of the size of the rubber seal/tail–either length or circumference?

A wildlife rehabilitator friend of mine specializes in working with opossums. I’ll ask if she’s ever hear about them hitchhiking in engine compartments and, if so, what to do about it. She may be willing to respond on this discussion board with a little prodding.

Dr. Kieran

The hardware cloth idea seems feasible, if you know where the chippies are entering and exiting. Still, I’d like to check with the auto experts here at Car Talk to make sure doing so would not endangered the safety of the engine or the passengers.

If I can get an answer from them I’ll pass it along here in a future post. Meanwhile, take a look at some of the other posts here related to rodents in the engine compartment. Nothing foolproof but you might find a few things to try.

Dr. Kieran

I recently wrote about deer whistles on my blog, and answered a similar question on this discussion board. The short answer is yes, they still make them, no, they don’t work. If you want to read the longer answer, go to www.nextdoornature.org or click on this link http://nextdoornature.org/2011/01/26/whistling-past-the-graveyard-at-65mph/.

Dr. Kieran

See my response above.

Dr. Kieran

Outdoor cats definitely ARE attracted to the engine warmth, especially during cold weather. I don’t know if repellent sprays can damage the finish or not, but I’ll ask my detailing expert and get back to you about it.

Meanwhile, if you visit the Wildlife and Your Cars FAQ page on the Car Talk website (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/wildlife/index.html#12) you’ll find some suggestions. And if you scroll up a bit from there you’ll see a discussion on simple ways to to keep animals off of your car.

Dr. Kieran

I contacted my detailing expert, Renny Doyle of Attention to Details Ltd. http://www.detailingsuccess.com, for an answer to your question. Here’s his response:

“I’m reluctant to leave any chemicals on paint as even those that are safe can cause damage to your vehicles painted and unpainted surfaces when temperatures are elevated and or those surfaces are in direct sun light. I would much rather apply these chemicals to a car cover and then cover the car with the cover. This would offer two levels of protection while making sure your automobiles paint is not damaged…by the cats or the repellents alike!”

Sounds like good advice to me!

Dr. Kieran, Car Talk Animal-Vehicle Biologist

Dr. Kieran ?
What kind of a Car Talk name is that ? ( see ‘show credits’ under the Our Lousy Radio Show tag )

The Dispenser of wildlife advice should be someone like…

Deer Abby

LOL–I like it! Or should it be:

Deer Audi

I’ll talk to my handlers at Car Talk Plaza and pass along your suggestion. One can never have too many titles, you know.

Dr. Kieran, Car Talk Animal-Vehicle Biologist/Wildlife Guru

What a fun CarTalk addition, welcome!
I wanted to jump up and down while I swear that DRYER SHEETS in a parked car keep out mice and other critters. You have to refresh the sheets every month or so, but no one furry moves in. My mom’s car is parked in the woods, in the country, under a tree, near the bird feeder (4 for 4 given your advice), and not driven for weeks at a time.
Formerly it was a summer condo for hordes of mice–the car repairman said the mice were actually leaping out as he pulled the car in to his garage–but since the dryer sheets, two summer’s ago, the mice apparently go to a cottage on the lake, instead. I put one sheet in the glove compartment, and five or six more around the inside of the car. Hurrah! It works great. (Also, from the voice of experience: don’t use the scented kind. Then even you will avoid the car).