Upcoming Migration of the Car Talk Community

My computer does it with a 3MB connection,I dont think your connection is totally at fault ,I have other sites that do it worse. we have fiber dsl a hundred yards away ,but there is a pair of copper conductors that bring it in.I believe the old dail up was about as fast when I finally got over 40 kps ,cant expect but so much from Hooterville.I am contemplating 4G ,but at least my bill pay works fine on this setup.

Why dont they just dump or archive the old threads from say 6 months ago?

WTH . . . ?!

I don’t recall mentioning any names, and I wasn’t thinking of you in any case

It’s not helpful if one guy starts a thread, talking about problems on his Honda Accord. Then the discussion ends. Several months/years later, somebody else revives it, and this guy’s got a Chevy Silverado, for example

And naturally, we don’t always look that carefully, so we don’t initially realize what happened

Big waste of time for everybody

Does the “like” button have to be a pink heart? I want to like a post, not love it.

2 Likes

@cdaquila … I finally got around to testing the new format today for the first time, seems to work pretty well. I’ll have to try it out quite a few more times before I’ll have a good grasp on how it all works I expect. I did come up with a couple of questions maybe others have already asked. If so, apologize for the repeat.

• Is there an equivalent method to the old version, where I could click on my user name, and go through a list of the threads I’ve recently participated in? Likewise, there was a list of the recent threads I had personally created available; is the same thing here somewhere?

• Does every post appear in the main thread list at some point, even if some posts are replies not to the OP but to another poster? i.e. do I need to look through all the reply sub-threads? The reason I ask is b/c I noticed in one thread today a poster mentioned the OP was trying to bleed the brakes, but I saw no post in the main thread list where the OP was saying anything about that.

• Finally, with the new format I’m only able to view the “Community” section of Car Talk on a special computer I’ve configured to use different software. The computer I had prior used for participating here is blocking all the “Community” section content, so on that computer all I see is a thin red horizontal line at the top. It seems to have to do w/ some kind of disagreement about this site’s JavaScript usage, along with complaints about this new site’s trying to ascertain the computer’s physical location. Some complaints about ad-ware usage too. I didn’t have either of those problems with the prior site version on the other computer. When I inquired about this with a Silicon Valley IT pro, they suggested they couldn’t view this site either successfully, and that I not try to defeat the software’s security features as it could compromise my computer.