Upcoming Migration of the Car Talk Community

Wow, go o vacation and his happens. I don’t have my regular computer, I’m using the old Mac and my guess is ha old macs aren’t supported. This site looks like something from the DOS 3.3 days to me.

Not real wild about the new look. My preference is always the K.I.S.S. principle and the new rig appears to be way cluttered. Time will tell; or not.

1 Like

Aha, new format. This makes the third or fourth forum format in the many years I have been getting underfoot here. Each has pros and cons. This version will too. Just gonna do my best to go with the flow. Same as learning new operating systems on computers, like finding that Win 3.11 couldn’t handle 17 open windows at once. :smiley:

Going to think positive and try to remember I just have to be smarter than the thing. Now where did I hide my magic wand?

Thank you cyber wizards. We very much appreciate all your efforts! :grinning::smiley::grinning::smiley:

1 Like

As others have noted, thanks cdaquila and cyber wizard cohorts for what you do to keep this forum running.

@ Barkydog
"glad to see you can sitll make it here @common sense answer"

@bing
"Glad you made it anyway but it’ll take a while to get comfortable with this."

Thanks Barky & Bing, much appreciated comments. :blush:
CSA

Strangely, the back button on my older android phone does not work on your (mobile) site anymore. It goes to the prior website, not to the prior viewed page on Cartalk…

Yes, it works normally on other sites.

How much hope and change can one person withstand though? First windows 8.1, then windows 10 and now this. What was wrong with windows 95 anyway? Now that dang cat is walking on my grass. Gotta go. Don’t send me another email.

I stopped at Windows 7. When my hard drive got fragged, I switched to Mac for my new computer- that was back in 2012. Sadly, though, if I want to start recording video and uploading it to Youtube, I’ll need to switch back to a PC to get any kind of REAL performance for my money. On the bright side, I can still keep my Mac going for browsing the internet.

What I want is a car with the up to date suspension and engine but simple dash controls for heat and a/c and radio not requiring endless submenus without having to drive a joke of an econobox. I like midsize to large cars with safety and comfort. But keep dash controls simple enough they can be operated by feel so my eyes never leave the road. But then I am a luxury loving dinosaur with champagne tastes on a beer budget.

As to the new format for the forum, my dinosaur brain needs s fresh workout now and then. Oh oh is that a meteor headed our way! :grinning:

1 Like

My brain hurts. :confounded:
But I know I’ll get used to the new format. The players are just as good as they always were, and the ability to readily converse is still intact, so the rest is just a matter of rewiring my synaptic junctions (my brain).

It took me some time to adjust to the obsolete format when that one was introduced years ago too, but I did. Good Lord!! How long have I been here??? Mommy!!! :scream:

1 Like

I like all the new emoticons . . . or whatever they’re called :icecream:

:hamburger:

:key2:

The problem with me is that after a few months I can’t remember what the old format was like, although I was never thrilled with any of the changes going way back to the original with the misc forum whatever that was called again. Speaking of that, maybe we should hi-jack one of the new ones for a general discussion forum. Not abusive or anything but just misc. topics.

@bing I still deal with computers of 2000, xp, vista, win 7 win 8 win 10, server 2003, server 2008, server 2012, sql 2000, sql 2005 sql 2008, sql 2012, postrges 8.3 and 9.1, Nothing is the same like moving from office 2003 to 2007 and above. sure sometimes I forget which way to access what I need, and sure I have computers with librre office and more or less a classic menu, funniest one was 2003 excel spreadsheet wizard, upgraded to office 2016, boss was like I love she is going crazy, I hated the migration too! Now etirement is looking like a nice optionwe have windows CE units end of life declared 6 months prior to contract due to unavailaility of parts, 25 grand down the tubes for upgrades of hardware, backordered for 2 months now. Wanted to use an old convertable for ciriix xen server connection, sorry we need .net 4,5,2 and xp only supports up to 4,0,2, R

So sometimes things can stay the same, but not often.

@bing; somehow I still remember how the forum was when I first joined ~ 2003.

I have to work with various systems at various places. From Vista at home to XE at work, apple for my kids and windows 10 on my laptop. I have to deal with android, apple and windows phone. The basis of them all is the same, bunch of copy cats.

We every upgrade though, we loose our “credits”.

I liked the page numbers, it told me how much I was going to have to wade through if I decided to open that post.

I hate change, I usually only know one way of doing any task on a computer and if that way doesn’t work, I don’t know the other dozen ways. I blame this on my age and lack of feedback.
I have never worked in a office or used a computer on any job. I have never used a pc, only a mac.
Books don’t help, I have Mac for Dummies, but they all assume some knowledge and a vocabulary that I lack.

An example of my lack of knoledge happened the other day. My son, visiting from Florida, asked me why I had coasters under the front legs of my monitor. I said, to tilt it so I can see it easier. He grabbed my monitor and tilted it! Who knew it tilted? I have only had it about 8 years.

1 Like

I remember our 3 year old daughter, we were trying to show grandma the internet, granndma ran out of desk space, and 3 year old pick up the mouse and move it back to the mouse pad,
To keep it car related our mechanic has a mouse that is a sports car with lighted headlights, too cool!

I kind of like the fact that there are no page numbers. It’s pretty easy to just scroll down. In any case, the date/time is clearly visible, next to each posting. So you can see the progression

What I do not like is that guys are reviving discussions that have literally been dormant for YEARS

In some cases, it’s the OP who has revived it and posted back with an update, and that’s a good thing. But anything other than that I consider not okay.

I wonder . . . Can’t there be a message in bold RED letters, which reads something like this “We feel you should be aware that this discussion has been inactive for a considerable amount of time. Unless you are the original poster, it is advisable to start a new discussion. Thank you for your understanding.”

1 Like

Don’t know if you remember the old days, look it up already posted. If it is relevant we will comment, I have no problem revisiting old threads.

Liking no page numbers myself.

I still don’t like it when somebody hijacks an ancient thread, and acts like a jerk about it

It happened just a few weeks ago, as most of us recall :scream:

It’s so easy to start a new discussion, there’s really no reason to hijack a dormant discussion. That’s how I see it

I don’t recall anyone reviving an old thread and acting like a jerk, it is usually the regulars that respond as jerks to a new post.