Replacing Tires

@JazzAzz - Tirerack has arrangements with many shops. I would be confident of getting a good job done. I’ve used them.

@JazzAzz, I used to think that way too until the tire shop I used started making questionable recommendations. It turned out that a local garage I trust is on Tire Rack’s partner list. I’ve bought tires for 3 cars this way and am very pleased with the results. If you are happy with your local Sears, continue with them. But they may not have certain brands you are interested in. The on line retailers have a lot more to choose from.

See, I’m just the opposite. When I priced out Tire Rack and the associated hassles, there wasn’t hardly any savings involved. Then if you have a problem, its more of a hassle getting an adjustment. Plus I like the face to face with the local dealer and the free balancing, etc. The other thing is if you buy tires from TR, the profit goes to TR, but if you buy them from your local dealer, the profit goes to them. Locals can’t stay in business without profits. So for me there needs to be a much wider margin to pull me away from a local in favor of mail order.

I remember way back in the 60’s as a kid, I ordered a couple used tires from JC Whitney. Yeah we all do stupid things when we’re young. At any rate they came in to the local freight carrier and one tire actually had a second sidewall glued onto the tire. I just sent them back and got some local. I just prefer to see what I’m getting.

Interesting, when I wrecked a tire for my Acura with only 1500 miles on it, I needed an exact replacement. The Acura dealer was actually cheaper than the local Goodyear dealer. Of course the Acura dealer couldn’t mount it for three days so I ended up buying it at Acura and having Goodyear mount it that day.

Cars are more reliable and mounting tires is an additional way for the local garage to service the customer. They also do road force balancing and 4-wheel alignment. The staff at my garage is at least as knowledgeable as the local tire chain I used before. Plus, the manufacturer provides warranty service, not the tire seller. I think your reasons and mine are quite similar.

My brother’s car uses a highly unusual tire size . . . there’s literally only one model that uses that specific size. it happens to be a Highlander, and it’s the only car out there that uses the size. Nothing else

Anyways, the local tire stores usually have a pretty lousy selection in that size, if they have anything in stock at all. They’re also limited in what they can get

So he used tire rack and one of those “partner” tire stores. He orders tires, which are sent directly to that store. He has a decent selection to choose from, and he’s happy with the store’s work and pricing

In fact, that store specializes in tire rack customers

I suppose I could install the tires myself, at my work, but that would be too conspicuous. After all, I’m supposed to be working on fleet vehicles, not my brother’s car

I am not a fan of internet tire sales. Tire dealers don’t think of folks you bring in tires to mount as customers - and if there is an issue, they won’t help.

For example, I was involved with a problem with a tire damaged in mounting. The mounting dealer denied their involvement - claiming it was a factory defect. The other local dealers took the “Didn’t sell it, Not going to deal with it” approach. The selling dealer was halfway across the US. Eventually, the selling dealer FedEx’d another tire, but the whole process took over 3 weeks and the buyer had to pay twice for mounting.

If there’s a reasonable option, I buy local. I used Tirerack while in Anchorage, bought two sets of winter tires+wheels, mounted, balanced, studded, ready to go. Worked out fine. I wonder if the shops they have agreements with would make the problem you described less of a hassle.

Why would a local shop install tires from TireRack if it isn’t profitable to them? If you have had a bad experience with a local shop installing TireRack’s tires, it’s probably not a shop you would want to use for other services.

Why would a local shop install tires from TireRack if it isn't profitable to them?

That’s the only way the Tire Rack will work.

Tire Rack isn’t realy viable here in NH since we don’t have a sales tax. The big savings with Tire Rack is not paying any tax on $500+ purchase. My local tire dealer beats Tire Rack prices. And they will install and tires you purchase from TireRack. They are on the MA border so the only people who take advantage of it are from MA.

Tire Rack isn’t realy viable here in NH since we don’t have a sales tax.

Good point but it’s a big exception to the general rule of the land :wink:
It still makes great sense if you’re buying your first set of winter tires for a new (to you) car. The carrier rolls the pre-mounted and balanced tire off their truck to my garage and I mount them up. No hassle or time wasted going to a local shop…

Good point but it's a big exception to the general rule of the land
I agree. I think the whole Idea of Tire Rack is a good business venture. Just not very viable here in NH....or other states that don't have a sales tax. I've recommended them to my BIL who lives in NY.

Don’t forget that just because TR doesn’t charge sales tax, you still owe the tax. Minnesota has a form to report and pay these sales taxes on internet and other sales where state taxes weren’t collected. Yeah its a hot topic, but the fact is its tax cheating.

Joe>>Thanks, I’ll check that out (Notifications).

Also GOT ER DONE. Was at Sears this morning before they unlocked their doors, having an appt./reservation, and got a great price on four “Cooper Response Touring,” Consumer Reports In Apr. rated SEVEN BEST TIRES in several categories and Coopers were on there in a couple. Anyway, normally $95 ea. I got them for $84.58 ea.(P225-60-16s) a 60K tire, which is no biggie for us, cause in the next 9 yrs. we probably will put less than 30K AGAIN>>LOL. One thing that cracks me up is all the extra charges, even for the valve stems, since tires are of ZERO USE without their VALVE STEMS>>LOL. Also the Roadhandler PLUS warranty ($45.12 for the 4), but IMO worth it, since tire repairs, nails and such are fixed for free, Performance tirebalance ($62 for the four), was like $45 nine yrs. ago. Now if I owned a tire shop, ALL THAT stuff would be included as part of the tire sale service, OR SHOULD BE IMO, but I believe ALL tire store run their businesses this way today. Well that car is done for another nine years. My 2000 Miata just had them replaced in 2013, and my 94 Chevy S10 PU, last year, so all DONE :slight_smile:

Minnesota has a form to report and pay these sales taxes on internet and other sales where state taxes weren't collected.

Not all states have that law. It’s commonly known as the Amazon law. Yes it refers to Amazon.com

ME and MA haven’t adopted the rule yet. NY has though.

In Minnesota the sales tax rule was there well before Amazon and even before internet. Mainly there for folks that made major purchases across borders. Of course I think they probably only get maybe two a year paying tax this way but the NSA is always watching and willing to sell their data.

I got about as good a deal after everything said from my regular service shop as tirerack, incl shipping and local shop in their list doing mounting and balancing, might have been $15 in the end, but I have a good rapport, and for the convenience of being across the street from where I work, I am happy.

Bing wrote:
Don’t forget that just because TR doesn’t charge sales tax, you still owe the tax. Minnesota has a form to report and pay these sales taxes on internet and other sales where state taxes weren’t collected. Yeah its a hot topic, but the fact is its tax cheating

In New York, you can pay an amount for out-of-state sales tax that’s calculated based on your income. If you do that, then any given purchase is in some sense tax-free, as you’ll be paying the same amount whether or not you make that purchase.

Having had two tires unexpectedly flatten on me at the worst possible times (not that there is ever a good time) I am a staunch believer in tire maintenance and knowing that if there is the slightest possible chance of getting a flat tire, I will get one. That said, get the new tires and also get them far enough in advance to wean out any possibility of getting a bogus tire or mounting. For example, I had a thumping sound coming from the back-end of my car this past spring. Worried for the worst, I took my car to my trusted mechanic, he put it on the lift and told me I needed a new tire. Thankful it was something as simple as that, and being short on cash prior to payday, he sent me down the street to a guy who sells tires and told me to tell him to give me a good rate on a used tire until I could do better. Forty bucks later, that tire lasted two months before the sides cracked and I came out from work to find a flat tire. Buy new, be educated and don’t forget to travel with a good spare and don’t forget to make sure it is filled with air. My doughnut has saved me in a pinch.

If the trip is at high speed through the Mojave Desert or Death Valley, I would replace them. If not, just inspect them and take the trip. The 700 miles is very little and it’s now September, so most of the holiday traffic is off the road.

I would be really worried if the principal driver has heart problems.

Similar to @Barkydog’s experience, I too buy from a local independent tire dealer (not a chain). This one is in Nashua, NH. Their “installed out-the-door” prices are equal or better than Tire Rack’s.

Depending on where you live, Tire Rack may save you money, but do check local independent shops first.

The Tire Rack savings would need to be fairly large before I buy tires online - (wanting to avoid situations like @CapriRacer noted above).