Recommend Truck

ok4450 It is my understanding that on the 4Runner there is transcooler in radiator and an external transmission cooler. With 200k on the truck I would not be surprised to have gunk in trans pan but isn’t there a magnet in the pan to collect that and not send it back through the transmission I am not sure that it would help to service other than drain and fill but you may be right that the filter might need to be replaced. How would I move this discussion over to the repair forum? Maybe there is Toyota mechanic over there?

I would not get a Colorado. For your location and needs you need a full sized pickup truck with a V8. The Colorado has a VERY poor reliability record, to boot.

The Op’s 4runner was rated for a max of 3500lbs new, most v8 1/2 Ton trucks would be rated for 5-6,000lbs if not more.

A magnet in the pan would not account for very much other than attracting ferrous metal debris and if that exists in quantity then there is a serious issue.

Magnets will not attract bushing material (bronze or brass) nor will it attract the dark gunk friction material. Either of those in quantity also means a serious issue.

A thin film of gunk on the bottom of the pan may be nothing to worry about. If dragging a finger over the bottom of the pan produces a clump on the fingertip then it’s time to worry.

I live in NC, and believe me trucks hold their value stupidly well. I searched for about a month and hopped on the deal when I found it (after talking them down bc the radio was busted and the tires were bald). Youve got to hunt for a while.

But, like I said, the single cab 2wd v6 models are always going to be most affordable, however for the trailer towing, I really do not reccomend the v6.

Yep need 4wd .

Edmunds says you can get a 2005 Silverado LS short be with the 4.8L V8 4WD, center diff and locking center and rear differentials and towing package for under $10,000. The Z71 comes in at $11,000 $1400 more) with similar options. Both are dealer prices, BTW and includes a $500 premium for low mileage at 100,000. Private sales are much cheaper. People may as a lot more, but there is no reason to pay it.

@HeadGasket‌

As a mechanic, I can tell you to run away from the Colorado. It’s utter garbage

It’s not a 1/2 ton truck, by the way. A 1/2 ton truck would be a Sierra/Silverado 1500, F-150, Dodge Ram 1500, etc.

We have mainly Ford and GM in our fleet, and either full size truck would be fine for you. The same can’t be said for the Colorado, unfortunately

“1996-2005 is what I am looking at.”

I’d stay away from anything as old as 1996. It might be used up and rusted out

Are you completely against another SUV? If you really need the 4WD, trucks usually arent as effective in 4WD because of the lack of weight out back. You could find a ford expedition 4WD with the 4.6 or 5.4 v8’s. Theyre both great engines. My dad has owned his 97 expedition since new with very little problems and its been all over the east coast. His has the 5.4 v8. I owned a mustang with the 4.6 for 10 years and it was very reliable. The only known problems with these engines are intake manifolds cracking at high mileage (easy to fix) and blowing spark plugs. While not all do it, its a known problem. Outside of that these engines are bulletproof, and its common to find them reach over 200k. And the expeditions are pretty affordable used.

I need clearance for hunting and a place to put an animal if I harvest one. Would love to have V8 because that should have the guts to pull the camper.

@JT,these trucks have a center diff?(I thought it was a NP transfer case,anyrate a center Diff is a good idea-Kevin

Shown as an option, Kevin.

Thanks JT,it sounds like a worthwhile option to me-just never seen anybody around here ,opt for it-Kevin

A 2003 or similar Dodge Dakota might be worth looking at as long as it has a V8. A co-worker has one of this era and tows pretty regularly. Depending on which rear axle ratio they can tow almost 6,000lbs.

Thank you ! I will look for one.