NYS Inspection w check engine light on

In the state where I reside, inspections are required. Once a year, I want a professional to validate that my vehicle is 100%. The manual here is a tome, and includes many checks that anyone behind the wheel should be checking regularly themselves - like signal lights, head lights… wiper blades… But there are a few outlandish requirements - sorry I can’t recall off-hand - that have nothing to do with safety. Emissions are not checked in the state, and I wish they were.

Here’s the problem, the requirements for being licensed as a state inspection station are minimal. There is no licensing requirement for the mechanic who does inspections. I had no idea. So, unless I’m missing something, the person hired to install new tires can, legally, do an inspection. What a fantasy I have had about qualifications for anyone all these decades.

You revived a 5 year old thread for that , Good Greif.

It didn’t cost you anything, did it? And I wonder how many people have expectations that inspections are being done by people who know how to do more than change a tire. But anyway, why aren’t you just glad that the site remains functional and in use.

1 Like

OK…OK. @VOLVO_V70, I think we see enough older threads get pulled up and revisited and people don’t necessarily notice the discussion is old. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean a discussion can’t continue.

But @Whereisthebus - I understand you’re irritated at the non-response you got, but please don’t take Volvo_V70’s barb any further. Thanks.

It wasn’t always that way. There used to be printing on the back of sticker which read “Remove this sticker before inspecting this vehicle.” But you’re correct- no longer the case. I guess they needed room for the odometer reading, which is now recorded.

1 Like

Since you consider them so outlandish, please try to recall what they were

Perhaps somebody will agree with you

Perhaps somebody will think the requirements make sense

Some of us can’t comment further, unless you provide more information

:smiley:

But, the OP now knows not to ignor the warning lights. If the owner ignores oil pressure or temperature light/gauge could cost a lot more than a failed inspection.

When Florida had inspections, sealed beam headlights were still common. You would see cars with one headlight out but current inspection sticker, seemed to be ignored by LEOs.

If a professional is evaluating your vehicle at least once a year, who cares about the qualifications of a state inspector?
My vehicles are evaluated, at the minimum, of twice a year. In May showed brake pads near needing replacement. Had them done in June.
I keep a close watch on other indicators such as unusual tire wear, does the car drift to the right or left, the ‘feel’ of the transmission shifts, etc.