Nitrogen in tires - upsell only or good deal?

sorry, I think you had better look it up.

oxygen tanks are labeled as accelerant not flammable

Jesmed, can you explain the combustion process of pure oxygen?

the NASA sight says you need fuel, oxygen and a heat source for combustion. the same thing my 5th grade science teacher said.

and having struck an arc in pure oxygen many times , I tend to agree

It’s on!

lol.

@ wes, I humbly apologize and beg your pardon. You are correct. Looks like I need to go back to school.
:wink:

Yes, oxygen is an accelerant, and pure oxygen will not burn on its own. But your neighbor still has good cause to be cautious. Houses do burn down all the time because someone left the oxygen tank valve open and a cigarette ignited an oxygen-accelerated fire.

Now, where is my dunce cap? :wink:

yes I explained that to her. and I apologize if I was rude. that troublemaker mountain bike got my dander up. :slight_smile:

I knew my 5th grade education would pay off some day…

No problem. Alzheimer’s sucks. :wink:

yeah, lyme disease screwed my memory as well. there are things that I am sure of that are just wrong sometimes.

I even had to look this up after a rocket scientist disagreed with my understanding of combustion

Agree with wesw. I electroysized H2O into H2 and O2. You could light a match, put it out, place it inside the O2 test tube…it would sponateously re-ignite if smouldering, but the O2 itself won’t burn.

The H2, OTOH, gave a nice"pop" if you turned the test tube open end up beneath a lit match!

Alloy wheels around here leak after 5 years because of salt corrosion from the outside. Nitrogen on the inside won’t help that.

What I can’t figure out is why steel wheels here hold up to the salt than the aluminum ones do.

This talk about combustion reminds me of when I was a 19 year-old knucklehead (i’m a 48 year-old knucklehead now…). My mother was a cancer patient and had an oxygen condenser, and I once put a lit cigarette in a flow of oxygen. The dim orange lit tip turned to a bright white burn! Someone who knew more about oxygen than I did told me that would happen, and that while a fire hazard does exist, the fact that cigarette smoke is something someone on oxygen really does not need is more the reason for No Smoking signs going up when oxygen is in use.

after I had my lung out, I would often use the oxygen tanks at work for a quick boost if I got out of breath. the tanks aren t free of contaminants like the medical grade oxy tanks are, but O2 is O2.

before that I only used them as a hangover cure.

I got nitrogen for no additional cost, with my new tires. The cheapest thing I saw was $59, a fairly large tank and dispenser. Any cheaper options for some morning I might wake up and notice a tire low?

Jesmed, I like a man who owns up to his mistakes. I was curious to see how you were going to explain that one.
And yup, Alzheimer’s sucks… I think… if I remember correctly… :slight_smile:

Barky, if you got new tires & valves and you wake up one morning with a low tire, than you have a slow leak. The cause will be the usual: a leaky bead due to improper installation or defect of either the tire or the rim, a leaky rim due to damage or porosity, or a leaky valve… the stems are commonly removed on installation to pressurize the tire and seat the bead, and occasionally one won’t be reinstalled fully… or will get contamination on it in the process preventing a proper reinstallation.

If all four tires seem low, check your home’s outside thermometer… it’s winter!

mountain, I m sorry I got testy with you earlier.

No problem. I too am sorry. I got a bit testy myself… before you did.
I think it was a misunderstanding on both ends, admittedly starting at my end.

And now, back to the tasks at hand.

I think nitrogen in tires is a waste but I doubt very seriously that any business on the planet is giving away nitrogen free with tire purchases.

It’s a business expense and is going to be covered somewhere; be it in the price of the tires or through any additional services they offer.
Give with the left hand and take with the right… :slight_smile:

True, but you get those pretty green valve caps…