Nitrogen in tires - upsell only or good deal?

That’s not the main reason race teams use nitrogen in their tires.

If this were the case, the tire changer on the race team would have an impact gun operated off of compressed nitrogen. But instead it’s operated off of compressed air.

So a fire breaks out in the pits, the tire changer drops his impact gun and the hose burns through. Now you have a hose supplying compressed air to the fire.

Very rarely does a pit fire occur, but you’re racing that car all the time.

Tester

um, how would the compressed air in a racing car s tires accelerate a fire any more than the oxygen already present in the atmosphere?

I think its hilarious every time someone believes that oxygen is an explosive gas. oxygen is an accelerant, it is not flammable

i understand nitrogen s use in plane wheels, not much oxygen at high altitudes to support a fire

A high speed abort in a jet frequenty catches a tire or two on fire. Since transport-category aircraft have tires mounted on common “bogies,” you want to keep the others from catching.

With N2, once the tire burns enough to burst, the escaping gas tends to smother the fire.

I dunno about compressed air in racing pits…I saw an internet video from Ingersoll Rand where a NASCAR pit guy was operating the Thunder Gun impact wrench from a nitrogen tank.

OK, my take on nitrogen in aircraft tires:

They use very high pressures and it is a lot easier to inflate a 300 psi tire from a bottle with a couple of thousand psi.

Race tires? Carrying a bottle is a lot easier than a compressor. (PS, Look at pit boxes and I think you’ll find they have provisions for N2 bottles and not compressors.)

So I kind of think this is more about convenience than actual benefits.

If it’s free…I’ll take it…if not…I’ll pass.

@‌Yoesemite
I hear you. If you can see why selling water to those who have it readily available is so easy, selling “air” is the logical next step.

After my well water goes through a sediment filter, carbon canister, water softener and arsenic removal system, it’s probably better than most commercial waters. But the infrastructure and maintenance costs are not inconsequential…might actually be cheaper to just buy bottled water but not as convenient.

I found it interesting that one of the first bottled waters was called Evian. What does that spell backwards? Coincidence???

Wes, you can stop laughing now. I never said that oxygen was an explosive gas. I said it feeds a fire. And it does. If you doubt that, the next time you have the fireplace going use a bellows on it. It’s the feeding in of additional oxygen that makes the fire grow.

I’ve described the process and chemistry of combustion numerous times on this forum. Apparently you weren’t listening. Please do not misquote me.

Re: the question of the thermal coefficient of expansion of nitrogen vs. compressed ambient air, air is about 77% nitrogen anyway. The difference in the tire pressure change between air and pure nitrogen is extremely small, although I recognize that race teams manage every single detail. The perception that race teams use it to control tire pressure may have some marginal validity, but not much. The real reason it’s used by race teams is for safety. The fewer sources of oxygen present, the less a fire can be accelerated by tertiary contributors.

I wasn t talking about you at all mountainbike.

I was thinking of my neighbor who only last week was afraid her house would blow up if her oxygen tank leaked.

the only thing in my comment that even was remotely about your comment was when I said that I did not see how compressed air would accelerate a fire any more than the air in the atmosphere.

I did not quote anyone that I recall

oh, I don t need you to explain combustion to me either.

having a bad day?

Nope. I just interpreted your post as being in response to my comment about compressed air feeding fires. Seemed logical. Apologies if I misunderstood.

@wes, pure oxygen (undiluted by nitrogen) is in fact highly flammable. Those green medical oxygen tanks contain pure, undiluted oxygen which is highly flammable. So your neighbor has good reason to be careful.

Google “oxygen tank fire” to see the numerous houses that have burned to the ground because someone’'s medical oxygen was ignited by a careless cigarette. Here’s the most recent:

And if you recall the terrible fire in Apollo 1 that killed three astronauts…it was caused by the accidental ignition of the pure oxygen atmosphere in the capsule.

apology accepted, but your condescending tone was not appreciated

you are wrong jesmed, oxygen will not burn on its own, it needs fuel, oxygen is an accelerant, it is not flammable
you can put a match to pure oxygen and the only thing that will happen is that the match will burn faster

Jesmed, can you explain the combustion chemistry involved?

Wes, I interpreted your post “I think its hilarious every time someone believes that oxygen is an explosive gas” as being in direct response to my comment that oxygen feeds a fire. I hope you can understand why I would have considered that a less-than-complimentary post. The apology was intended to cover my entire response. Again, I apologize and hope this gets us back in good graces.

pure oxygen will cause other things to burn explosively, it is not explosive on its own

ps. I ve worked with oxygen tanks for most of my adult life

@wes, I’m sorry, but that is incorrect. I speak as a retired aerospace engineer with a Masters degree in combustion of rocket propellants.

Pure oxygen will burn ON ITS OWN. It does not need any other reactant. Look it up.