Lane Widths

...the stretch of I-35 South in OK City where it curves after splitting into I-44 sure seems to be narrower than 12 feet.

I checked I-35 from the I-35/I-44 split down past the I-40 interchange…all 12 foot lanes. Those bridges with no shoulders probably feel pretty narrow. To me, it’s an optical illusion how narrow lanes appear. Years ago, I actually got out my tape measure to prove to myself that the road in front of my house really has 10 foot lanes.

Mike’s point that many of these standards were not in place (and/or not what they are today) when the highways were built is an excellent one. It is also true that many highways might exceed the standards that were in place when they were built. With over 46,800 miles of interstate highways, I have no doubt these points are both true.

@insightful You could well be correct that it’s an optical illusion. The next time I’m through there I’ll take a closer look at it. The focus is usually on trying to avoid getting creamed.

Before they redid the I-35 to I-40 east to Fort Smith interchange the lane situation there were horrible and so accident prone involving semis that it was comical. The single lane east was narrow, posted 35 MPH, and flat with no banking.

It seems that one or two trucks a week would hit that turn running 60 and over they would go.

I live in WNC near a section of I -40 that was built in 1959. Our problem is that some of the bridges are to low. The interstate was cut through mountains with large rocks and several of the local bridges across it are lower on one end. When it was built the bridges were to low for some military equipment to pass under and it was understood by state government that if over sized equipment needed to be moved in a hurry that the government would blow up the bridges. When the Snow Birds move their huge boats or an oversize load was too tall they had to exit the interstate and use a secondary road for about 13 miles till they pass these bridges.
Thankfully, the state is finishing up replacing the three bridges that were to low.
BTK

Something about the specs have changed over the years though.
When they re-striped RT66 it was odd.
six lanes accross. Two driving lanes in each direction, center turning lane and one parking on the south curb.
The re-stripe still had those lanes …BUT…the north stripe in now over IN the gutter ( a semi driver is afraid they’re going to hit the light pole with their mirror ) and the parking got super skinny ( you can barely get you car between the curb and the stripe )

Well, I humbly announce that I have found the mecca of interstates with less than the standard 12’ lanes: Los Angeles. I-5, I-710, I-415, and probably others have miles of 10 to 11 foot lanes.

Quoting @BillytheKid

"BillytheKid
June 10

BTK"

I wonder if the BTK serial killer realized that he had the same initials as Billy the Kid…

To keep this automotive, BTK drove his town’s F150 as dog catcher and compliance officer.

@MGMcAnick LOLOL…There sure are a lot of funny people on here.
BTK