How many miles can you get out of a Hyundai Elantra

I was given a list of additional services recommended by my auto dealer, where the car has been serviced since day 1. It is still about the 2012 Elantra, given to me after the scheduled oil change and a recall repair done yesterday.

I have been told not to do flushing. Alignment and tire balancing, maybe needed, though no shaking steering wheel or any other signs indicate it. Does it even have fuel induction? What do you think is necessary and what is gimmick for $$$? I do appreciate any thoughts.

Alignment. $100
Brake Flush. $160
Coolant Flush. $170
Fuel Induction Service $175
Tire Balance $70
Transmission Flush. $400

Tax and labor for a total $1200.00. Still a lot better than $20K!

Ask the dealership (or look yourself) to show you what on the tires indicates the need for alignment. If thereā€™s no abnormal wear on the tires and the car isnā€™t pulling one direction or the other, you donā€™t need one. If you arenā€™t feeling any shaking, you donā€™t need a tire balance.

The flushes are necessary. Brake should be done every few years. Coolant every 5. I like to exchange my transmission fluid every 50k miles or so. The induction service is necessary from time to time due to the direct injection, but some dealerships are known to want you to do it far more often than necessary.

My biggest recommendation would be to find a local independent mechanic with good reviews to service your car. Theyā€™ll likely be cheaper than the dealership.

3 Likes

+1 @nrosetta27_173085, youā€™re not getting warranty work done, no need to go to the dealership :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen quite a few Elantras and Sonatas with well over 250k miles that were looking good and running like new. Although they werenā€™t a lot of them that landed in my shop those that did were easily repaired at relatively reasonable prices and parts seemed to always be available here. The local dealer here had a great reputation which was likely the reason I saw so few of them.

Alignment . . . if the carā€™s tracking straight and not eating tires, donā€™t bother

Brake fluid flush . . . if you still have the original brake fluid, sure, go for it

Coolant flush . . . I recommend a drain and refill every 5 years

Fuel induction service . . . if the engineā€™s running fine, no misfires, forget about it

Tire balance . . . if your steering wheelā€™s not shaking at freeway speeds, forget about it

Transmission flush . . . I recommend drain, refill and replace filter every 30K for most cars. Donā€™t flush

4 Likes