Gear Shift Moves, But Car Won't Drive

I hope someone sees this, but I have the same problem as the guy that asked the question above. My car shifts and starts but won’t move. I noticed that when its off, it easily moves into each gear. I was never able to do that when it actually worked unless it was on. When it was on, it wouldn’t give a tiny atom of force or tension when pulling or pushing into each gear. it goes into each gear like butter. What could be the problem for my description? I never checked my fluid level so maybe thats it.

By your description it sounds like in your case it may be a broken or disconnected shift cable. What year , make and model is the car?

Edit: Just want to add, to avoid confusion, it’s best to start a new thread rather than add to an old post

1 Like

2001 Isuzu Rodeo 4wd

It feels like mine was doing that

Me and My fiance are having the same problem I think. with a Dodge Caravan 2002 when i start the car the motor is running good but then it overheats instantly we can move forward barely and anything else just revs the motor up the RPMs and everything was messing up about a month before this and now the odometer or anything on the dash don’t work it’s a automatic I’d like to know if there’s any way I can save my van or do I just have to go get a new car any advice would help its I don’t know if it’s the same problem but it kind of sounds similar lol

So I have the same issue except for mine does feel like it’s fighting the brakes any suggestions also neutral Drive first and second are all forward gears replaced the input output sensors change the filter fluid still having the same issue any suggestions cause thinking it might be the valve body

Mine’s doing the same thing replaced filter fluid input output sensors and I’ll gear besides reverse or forward gears but when in reverse it feels like it’s fighting the brakes suggestions

I just had this happen, was a broken ujoint to driveshaft… Lol

I have a 2003 Honda Accord I heard a pop sound when I pulled off and the car stop moving every time I pull the car n park it make This loud noise what should I do

Have the car towed to a good, independent mechanic.

1 Like

Sounds like an axle shaft broke, set the parking brake as “park” won’t hold the vehicle from rolling away.