Does motor oil break down over time with little mileage or engine hours?

““Kendal, the 2000 mile motor oil” This was a big step up from the normal 1000 mile service intervals common up until 1950…”

Of course, many of those engines didn’t have oil filters. Oil filters and better oil additives really helped stretch out the oil change intervals and engine life.

Many shops still ‘tank’ engine parts in hot caustic solution to clean them before rebuilding, even today. At least those shops that rebuild engines. They are getting harder to find these days.

I believe it was bobistheoilguy says that the additives do break down stored in a cool shed. Guessing again?

Besides what’s been mentioned by others, if you only have 3,500 total miles on the truck, you’re probably still running on the factory fill, which may be a different grade of oil than normal or may include additives to help the new engine wear in correctly. So the oil life monitor may be telling you to change it sooner than normal based on the total mileage of the truck, but even if it isn’t, a year is about the max you want to run without an oil change for any vehicle that isn’t in storage.

I’d change it now.

If you want to look after your oil - ditch the “jobber” filters like FRAM and NAPA. Buy only a manufacturers filter. They are made to filter oil - the others are to make money. Doubt it? Take a hack saw and cut them apart and see the difference.

Do you think that Toyota or Ford make their own filters ? No they don’t and the only bad filters are what are called ’ white box ’ because they don’t have a name on them.

Oh God, here we go with that hokum hacksaw the filter apart on the picnic table in the backyard again…

Maybe you don’t realize that almost all car manufacturer filters are contracted out to filter manufacturers. Those filter manufacturers produce filters for both the car makers and the “jobber” filters you refer to.
The only difference is the paint and logo. Same goes for suspension, steering, seats, lighting, radiators, brakes, clutches, etc, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum.

NAPA filters are made by Wix…Fram sells more oil filters then it’s top 5 competitors COMBINED. There’s no such thing as an OEM filter. I don’t know of any manufacturer that makes oil filters. They are made for them by one of the oil manufacturers.

How many vehicles have you owned past 300k miles. I’ve owned 5. 4 of them used nothing buy Fram filters and not one had any engine problems. If there was a problem with Fram filters then we’d be seeing thousands of vehicles every year with major engine failures due to a Fram filter…and we’re not. In fact I never heard of any.

The only filter-related problems I’ve read about here resulted from gasket failures of some sort, typically failing to make sure the old gasket was removed. And oil-related problems typically are from failing to change the oil at the recommended frequency. Will I buy the cheapest no-name filter? No, but I’ve used many Frams with no problem whatsoever.

There might be some cheap filter companies I’ve never heard…but the major brands (Fram, Wix, Denso, Purolator, AC Delco, Motorcraft) are all good. Only filter problem I’ve ever had was with Purolator - didn’t fit properly on certain vehicles.

I also don’t think there’s any advantage in buying a Mobil-1 or Amsoil filter.

FWIW I’ll throw this in, for many years I owned several nice firearms that I have not been able to enjoy but each year I took them out of their cases and cleaned them and for many years I used a synthetic firearm lubricant but after a year the actions on all the weapons were gummed up and somewhat difficult to operate on the first few attempts. After a thorough and complete disassembly, cleaning and lubrication each year, regardless of what lubricant I used they were gummed up. I can’t imagine that piston rings, lifters, rocker arms, etc wouldn’t likewise be affected by months of sitting idle.

Ford uses and sells Motorcraft oil filters.
Purolator manufactures Motorcraft oil filters.
So which is better…or is Purolator just another worthless “jobber” filter I rhetorically ask.