Dan's Theory of Cars and Matrimony

@Keith. The problem with leasing a wife is that it needs to be done only for the short term. If the leasing company determines that the wife has aged too much, the person who leased the wife will be out quite a bit of money.

Husbands don’t lease wives–wives lease husbands. I leased Triedaq from his parents. Unfortunately, I didn’t read the fine print and the lease is for a lifetime, so he couldn’t be returned. Therefore, I am stuck with him.

Mrs. Triedaq

One problem with leasing a spouse is that the duration of the lease can be quite unclear in the beginning, and adding accessories can be risky. I thought my lease was going to be a lifetime lease, but it terminated rather abruptly after 27 months (test drives are NOT okay with me!). During those 27 months, I added a lot of very nice accessories, and alas, the leasing company determined that all the accessories I added would remain with the wife, and I would have to continue making bi-weekly AND monthly lease payments although I had to turn over all the accessories and the wife. Now I see why it’s a good idea to add your own fine print before you sign an agreement like that, then maybe I would have been allowed to remove some of the accessories I added during the lease.

CAR:
Buy a car and pay for it over the next 5 to 6 years then do a trade-in and start all over again with another new car. If it’s not broken then don’t fix it … we have too much debt to afford fixing it and am too busy working to spend time fixing. (a new computer is also needed… again.)

MARRIAGE:
21 years together. Going strong? NO… it is beyond broken. No relationship, no connection, no friendship. :frowning:

I totally get the theory. The more time and energy you put into something the more you really love it. You keep a connection with that which you take care of. The things AND people in our life take time, money and effort to keep up.

Didn’t work that way for me. When I married, I was driving a 1965 Plymouth Valiant which I had owned for about 10 years and had previously belonged to my Dad. The wife was also a 1965 model. Turned out the car was reliable and dependable, but she definitely was not.

I had a car that I bought new in '92 and finally sold when it could no longer be brought into emissions compliance in '08. Never been divorced.

But then again, I’ve never been married either.