Dan's Theory of Cars and Matrimony

Dan is absolutely correct. I’ve told my wife that just like with my vehicles, I haven’t seen any reason yet to trade her in. We’re going on 30 years, and I also still have a 1982 Kawasaki GPz750 I bought new, plus we have a 1997 Volvo with 206,000 miles and going strong. Got 222,000 out of a Dodge Caravan too before the transmission replacement cost exceeded its value.

Mark9207,

Your ex-wife is a good example of the theory. She makes irresponsible poor life decisions, and irresposible poor car decisions.

Am I the exception that proves the rule? One car: 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (1988 - 2011), five realtionships: Marlene, Nancy, Cynthia, Holly, Maria. In fairness, I sometimes had a company car for a daily driver. I also had a new 1987 Chevy Nova and a used 1993 Toyota Corolla, each for ten years, during the same two decades.

They may be related but not causally related (the Common Association fallacy). Logically, they may both have many common grounds – like appreciation for Stability, the ability to re-interpret or defer “gratification,” and financial savvy.

Married 42 years (2/3 of our lives), approximate average length of car ownership 10 years (not counting assignment-specific cars we bought in the military while on one assignment knowing we could not ship them when we left).

I have had the same car for 8 years, but my wife gets a new one every couple years. I think I should be worried.

My wife and I have been together for over 15 years. We actually get along better when we don’t have a car. Right now we own a 1997 Saturn SL and we live in Jacksonville Florida and for anyone who lives in or around Jacksonville they know that it’s massive, it’s actually the largest city in the contiguous united states. You have to drive at least 20 minutes to get anywhere and the city government seems to actually encourages sprawl as a way of life. Fortunately we live in a dense area of town so walking isn’t a big deal. We often let the car sit while we walk. I’ve never been attached to a car as much as I have my wife so letting the old clunker sit doesn’t feel to bad. I do miss my scooter though! Now that was fun to drive.

I have already recorded my misfortune in commenting to my wife on this topic while we listened to the show. But the other question to be answered is, in the light of this comparison, what kind of marital pattern would this theory presuppose for a person who leases their vehicles? Commitment averse?

Well, it is 45 years for us and I drive a 1996 Subaru Impreza Coupe. Things may not look good for me, however, as my wife has a near new Outback. Is she telling me something?

My husband and I have been married 30 years this June. We have always had cars that we keep for over 300,000 miles. We currently are driving for fun a vw camper van and a 240 Volvo. I think you need to cherish your cars like you do your wife ( and kids ) . If you constantly need to change your life will never be happy with what you have. Both relationships need service and care. As we get older we need more and more repairs and like older cars, this takes patience and understanding. Each of us has our quirks and they should be fun, not something to get rid of. Both of our daughters have also driven older cars…neither has a thirty year relationship, yet, but hopefully, they will!

Until a couple of months ago, when my husband’s car was totaled, he was driving a 2002 Saturn SC with over 200,000 miles on it, and I was driving a 2001 Saturn SL with over 212,000. In August we’ll have been married for 39 years. My “new” car is a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. It had just less than 50,000 miles on it. I bought it because I need 4 wheel drive in the hills and snow where we live, and because of the good reviews on Cartalk.

My fiancee and I have 2002 and 2003 cars, 192K, 110K respectively. After her last $700 bill from the shop to replace a wheel bearing and brake pads I told her, “That’s the last thing they do!” We’re in this for the long haul :wink:

Married 23 years next month. Never traded in a car. We drive them until they need to be sold for parts! I’m not sure if that says more about our marriage or our bank account!

Ex-Mrs George of San Jose (the Mrs at the time) didn’t think the Toyota Corolla should be the car to replace her beloved VW Rabbit. The Mrs, she rebelled, and composed a littany of reasons written on several pages of a yellow legal pad, the Toyota Corolla included on the list, and up and divorced George of San Jose ;_) Shortly after her desired divorce from George of San Jose, the ex-Mrs, well, what do you know, but that her beloved VW Rabbit’s head gasket blew. Ah, what a shame! :slight_smile: So the ex-Mrs, she took George of San Jose’s alimony money and purchased a new Saturn, selling her VW Rabbit to the auto-crusher, and leaving the hated Toyota Corolla to George of San Jose in the settlement.

The moral of this story? George of San Jose continues to drive the very loyal and reliable Toyota Corolla to this day, and couldn’t be happier.

I drive an 05 Subaru baja. LAst car was a Subaru outback, ten years and almost cracked 200,000 miles. Guess that makes me the long suffering husband type. Wouldn’t leave my wife, mainly because I’m too damn tired (she says that’s her plan). Bit don’t make me choose between baja and wife!

I support the theory, as I turn over my cars once they reach 60,000 miles. However, my new car is always a used car with low mileage, kind of like the husbands I have attracted over the years.

My ex wife and I bought a new car every 2.5 years for the 15 years we were married plus a used 1991 GMC Safari to haul stuff around. The divorce left me with a pile of bills and the Safari. I drove that until it started to use more oil than gas at 256k and replaced it with a used 1993 Safari that rusted away to 320k. I now drive a 1997 Buick that was given to me by my daughter. I’ll agree with Dan’s theory from the viewpoint that now after being happily divorced for 20 years I am well on my way to getting 10 years per car! Imagine that!

Bogus. Married 33 years and about as many cars. I don’t buy new ones, but change often. I told my wife its cheaper to trade cars than it is wives. My brother keeps his cars forever, looking for wife #2. My parents married 59 years (and still going), I have no idea how many cars they have had. More than I can remember.

Dan is right on. My car: 1992 Mazda 323, 138,000 miles that I bought brand new. My husband: 1946 American-made model with too many miles to count and 3 “previous owners”. My marriage: 19 and a half years and counting. The car no longer has a radio, inside door handles, a headliner, or a horn, while the automatic seat belts are stuck in the “on” position and beep constantly even when buckled. The husband, similarly, has lost a few parts, gained a few pounds, and can be nearly as annoying at times as the beeping seat belts, but I’m sticking with both of them because they both have plenty of miles left on them and we have many a scenic highway to ride down together.

I, of course, am still in showroom condition!

This totally disregards leasing !

You can lease a wife?