Classic car repair hobby? Good idea or not?

Accumulating too much money will also get you into trouble. Hobbies help prevent that as well :wink:

2 Likes

Good example of thinking too much!

??? Care to explain?

Do you know if they can find/make custom made train cars? A buddy of mine at work would love to have a light up Delorean like the one from BttF 3 for his set.

When you think about it, how many times have we bought the same album over the years? We had radio then records, then we had cassette tapes, then CDs and now MP3s and-streaming services as well as dedicated satellite radio stations- 8 tracks probably if youā€™re over 50(Iā€™m only 43).

Same with movies/tv shows- VHS/Beta(Sometimes beta AND vhs if you went with Beta first), then video CDs, laserdisc, DVD, bluray and now digital downloads/streaming.

1 Like

I may have bought a few albums twice going from cassette tapes to CD;s, but never bought any records due to not being able to play them much at home, and to bulky for travelā€¦ So I went with tape until CDā€™s, but unless the tape messed up, no need to upgrade for the most partā€¦ Never got into MP3s, So only tapes, CDs and radio and now Pandora (free)ā€¦

Movies, only ever had VHS tapes and CDs, never got into all the others and once I watched a movie, no need to buy it again on something elseā€¦ lol
Now I just watch Sling, Netflix, Max and a few othersā€¦

1 Like

Classic car repair hobby is like buying art to me. If you love it spend the bucks. If you do it in hopes of making money you may end up with no joy.

3 Likes

What you are posting about sound more like model trains rather than toy trains.

There are very few hobbies than are low cost.
You can catch fish with a ā€œcane poleā€ or you can catch fish with a six figure boat, multiple three figure rods and reels, and a five figure truck to pull your boat.
Hunting too, when I lived in Utah went hunting for what ever was in season. Most fun was water fowl, get to shoot a lot yet not hit anything!

You never know what piece is going to increase in value, stay the same or drop in value. Just like vintage cars. Especially affordable vintage cars!

A vehicle restoration is a great hobby and life isnā€™t always about making profit. A hobby is an activity that gives you a sense of purpose, and it has many health benefit to our mental state.

Also, current cars donā€™t look nice anymore and everything when it comes to car design seems rather unpleasant looking.

Around here I occasionally see a restored vehicle on the road and it tends to turn many heads; people approach such vehicle to take pictures of it and to compliment the owner.

There is no doubt older cars have the best designs.

Iā€™m in love with the older Honda coupe.

I saw a girl pulled up in one at the gas station and I couldnā€™t help but wave to her to tell her sheā€™s done a great job !

Source: picture was taken from google image.

3 Likes

+1

Couldnā€™t have said it any betterā€¦

You either get it or you never willā€¦

2 Likes

I miss the Honda Civic hatchbacks of the 1980s and 1990s, the CRX and Prelude sports cars. They used to be so common, but are now a rare sight.

1 Like

Oh hell yea ! There is a prelude around here wrapped in purple with black wheels. Itā€™s the wickedest vehicle around here. It makes you feel like youā€™re actually in a video game. And the exhaust system is violently loud.

Iā€™m a big, big fan of the 80s and 90s vehicles.

My buddy just sold one of his two CRXā€™s, one manual and one an automatic, he still has his 1984 Civic 2 door hatch, manual, that we brought back to life after years of being left in a field, pulled the 100 vacuum lined cvcc carb off and put a Webber on it, runs good for a very low HP vehicleā€¦ lol

But yeah, I was looking for some stuff for my sons 92 Civic LX and there are none with in around 800 miles of here anymore, a few years ago they were a dime a dozenā€¦

Because it is a 32 year old economy car and because Hondas were THE vehicle to own and modify in the late 90sā€¦

Even if you find one, it will either be modified beyond redemption or driven into the ground! Popularity has its price, unfortunately.

3 Likes