Car dash gauge assortment for a gearhead?

I like those ideas @researcher . Seems that there’s some gauge-desire for nearly everything, but nobody here wants to see the tire pressures at all. Sort of makes you wonder if the mandated tire pressure display is really of much value.

MikeInNH I have been on the do not call list for almost 12 years. It worked well until the last couple of years. When I received the first interest rate call I pressed 1 and informed the person I was on the no call list and had no reason to “lower” my 3.25% to 6.9%. Of course they kept calling and I started to file complaints. I soon realized every call was from a different number. After a year or so they suddenly stopped.

Re: Telephone marketing.

The US phone system IMO has become a total disaster. Has anyone else resorted to what I finally had to do to eliminate the marketers from my phone? Just stop answering the phone? All my calls go direct to the answering machine now; the bell is turned off. I phone back those numbers that aren’t droll marketing attempts. But I got to thinking, what if everybody did this? At that point you could only talk to other people via answering machines I guess.

If it is a toll free or out of area number I don’t answer. If it is a telemarketer I hang up. I am still very annoyed by these parasites.

If I see a suspicious number on the ID I answer it with an old FAX machine I have. That really annoys most of the unwanteds and most won’t call back if they hear a FAX or even an old phone modem screeching and dinging at them.

Good morning – those telemarketers can be really hard to shake off. Unfortunately, we’ve gotten a fair distance from car topics. Anyone else have any thoughts about the gauges? Thank you very much.

Well then, how about a Bluetooth linked caller ID display on the instrument panel with a flashing light and chime to warn us of an incoming telemarketer call?

How about a Blood Alcohol Content gauge for the driver? There could be an alarm that goes off and flashing lights on the car to alert all other drivers of the drunken idiot.

The same principal can apply to drivers on cell phones.

The do-not-call list did work up until the last few years. For the honest telemarketers, it still works. For the unscrupulous robo-callers, nothing can stop them. Not lists, not laws, not the FTC.

Well, gauges on the flight deck of an airliner could be omitted and approaches could all be flown with a stall warning chime and stickshaker… :wink:

How about a Blood Alcohol Content gauge for the driver? There could be an alarm that goes off and flashing lights on the car to alert all other drivers of the drunken idiot.

They actually talked about having the steering wheel have sensors that checked the sweat for alchohol, and not start if present. Upon reading about this in the paper, I thought:

1. Great. One more “single-point failure” engineered into the car.

2. Heaven forbid if I get my hands greasy under the hood…and then use (alcohol-based) hand sanitizer to clean 'em off! (The tech might also “false positive” for all sorts of VOCs that mechanics make use of.)

3. This incentivizes drug use vs. drinking (though to what extent that’s good, bad, or indifferent, I don’t care to predict.)

4. At any event, a whole lot of expense that could simply be circumvented with a pair of golves!