Bought a non-working '02 Liberty, where to start?

I’m going to assume the previous owner convinced OP the Jeep was a good buy, and it would be a cheap fix, but they were too busy to do it

How many times have we all heard those stories . . . ?!

If it were a simple and cheap fix, the previous owner would have done it and would still be driving the vehicle

That is my pessimistic opinion, FWIW :trollface:

IMO only real gearheads should even consider buying a non-running vehicle such as this Jeep. Uncommon, vintage, classic, collectible, etc. vehicles are a different story, and I’m not going to go into that right now

Put my vote in the pessimism column. Starter clicking-meaning possible engine locked up. Oil leaking-meaning possible hole in block. Suspected diagnosis-major engine failure causing engine to lock up and something to punch a hole in it somewhere.

An optimist might say oh, just a starter and a seal leaking. But then why wouldn’t the guy just put a starter in? Much easier to sell a car with the engine running, even if it had an oil leak. Suspect the guy knew more than he let on knowing. Aren’t those Jeeps trouble prone also? On the not recommended list?

IMHO none of us has anywhere near enough information to be making any assumptions. All we can do is hope that it was someone who got the Jeep cheap enough to make it worth the risk and who can afford to take the risk, and not some young kid that got ripped off by an unethical seller.

We haven’t heard back from Tenpin, so I assume he’s gone on his way. Whatever the background story, I wish him only the best.

I hope it was $1000 cheap, not $3000

Count me as another pessimism vote. Because unless it could be proven the vehicle would run and be drivable you would have to pay me to take a 14 yr. old Liberty.

My final comment and recommendation. This was not a great car when new, and at that age if it’s not running you have yourself a money pit on your hands. So, cut your losses and get rid of it.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
OTOH If you don't ask, you don't know what to write on the check!
My response was really more aimed at the initial prospect of buying something like this and then having to ask how to verify if the motor is toast. As a few others have mentioned, this is not a novice project.

It used to be that used engines were dirt cheap around here because our cars rusted out so fast but now our cars can last 10-14 years and used engines are expensive. I once bought a good slant six engine in the early 80s for $50 from a wrecking yard.
I don’t know what an engine for that jeep would cost but it may be as much as the car is worth when it is finished.

I always look at this website when researching a used car for myself or others: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Liberty/2002/

Notice that engine problems are high on the list of issues. Click on that category and complete failure is over half the problems.

This vehicle is late for the salvage yard.

The Powertech V6 is not noted for longetivity ,but you can buy rebuilt improved engines for a little over 2 grand ,if the rest of the car is good ,that is the way I would go (and hope that the transmission has had regular service,you are probably going to have 3K in this thing at least if it needs a motor ,maybe cut your losses and find something else ?

I don’t think it makes sense to spend 2K on an engine for an Liberty

The car’s probably been neglected, and I suspect the rest of it may barely be in better shape than the engine

4 days have passed since the OP asked the question. He hasn’t come back to respond since then. Do you think he will? I don’t.

He’s left the building.

Tenpin3000 found a friendly message board for advice. Currently on page eight and no one has criticized him for buying a project vehicle.

1 Like

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/bought-non-working-02-liberty-where-start-60363/

I bet Jeep fans are familiar with major project cars, logical or not.

A smiley face sticker on the rear glass will fix everything…

I looked at the other forum’s thread and seems so far no definite solution to the problem. It seems like, given the time and effort the OP is putting into it, maybe a used engine might had been a better bet. We should follow this story. But I have to admit, maybe when I was 20, I had the patience to mess with this, not now.

It doesn’t seem like he is willing to replace the engine but the experience of disassembling a junk car is part of growing up. He will learn something from this, more than he will from buying a certified pre-owned car.

One question not answered is what did he pay for this “junk car”. Since it otherwise appears in great shape, I suspect he paid a decent price and is going to take a bath if the engine is toast. That alone is a serious life lesson. I started out with $200 junkers (that you could actually drive around) and learned on those…