Tune Up Price for a Subaru

I pretty much agree with the electronic tune-up part of this, although the words “tune up” are not really appropriate anymore.
Rather than cap/rotor replacement, I would examine them for burning or carbon tracking. If there is none, they can be re-used, but I would replace the plug wires if they’re the originals.

Mileage is not the only factor in timing belt replacement; time is an issue also. Rubber dry rots and a belt that is 5 years or so old has a chance of breaking no matter the mileage.

One area that should be examined when a “complete” tune up (bad words again) is done is valve lash adjustment.
Depending on the engine you have some models have mechanical lifters and a regular inspection and adjustment should be performed, although Subaru, Honda, Toyota, etc make recommendations of a 100k miles on this.
Pure bunk IMHO. They’re not the ones having to pay for damaged cylinder heads due to lash problems.

If you’re not familiar with which engine you have look at the sticker under the hood. There should be a spec given for “Valve Lash”. It will either give some numbers about Intake/Exhaust clearances or say something to the affect of N/A, with the latter meaning they’re hydraulic lifters and no adj. check is necessary.
Hope that helps. :slight_smile: