2001 Ford Focus Occasionally Stalling; Engine Light On, Steering Wheel & Gas Pedal Lock Up?

Thanks! I clarified with my daughter, yest the lights are just coming on when it stalls not while it’s running (I haven’t been able to duplicate her issues, neither has the Ford service department—however the independent mechanic was able to when test driving).

There aren’t any codes coming out when the car is scanned. It’s coming up clean both at a Ford service department and by an independent mechanic. We can’t seem to nail down the specific issue. I’m just looking for suggestions from others as things we could look into since at the moment it seems the Ford service department just wants us to replace parts without even knowing what the problem is. It just seems like a sinking money hole if we can’t try something more specific.

A friend emailed me earlier and says he thinks it might be the ignition cylinder. He said he owned a 2001 Ford Focus and had the same thing happen and had to replace it. He also said his fuel pump had to be replaced before the ignition cylinder went bad because of a Ford recall.

Maybe that’s our next step is looking into the ignition cylinder and then moving onto the fuel pump if that doesn’t work.