2001 Ford Focus Occasionally Stalling; Engine Light On, Steering Wheel & Gas Pedal Lock Up?

I think you may be getting the symptom confused from the actual problem. When the engine stalls, doesn’t the engine light come on normally anyway? A stalled engine puts the car in the same mode as if you turned the key to “On” or “Run”, but before you started the engine, so in my car at least the Check Engine light come on. That’s so you can tell the Check Engline display is working, not that there is anything wrong.

Does the check engine light come on (or stay on) while the engine is running? That would mean the ECU detected a problem. Please clarify.

Also, the steering wheel might become hard to turn when the engine stalls. That’s simply because the engine isn’t running so the power steering isn’t working. It isn’t the reason why the engine isn’t running probably. Gas pedal? Not sure if the engine running/not running would affect that, but it might.

The car isn’t supposed to stall out of course. Stalling can be caused by a bunch of different things. Often it is some kind air/fuel mixture problem, or a problem with the ignition or timing system. A stuck open EGR could cause it. Worn out spark plugs, spark plug wires could cause it. A vacuum leak could cause it. Besides the trouble codes, those are probably the places I start looking if this were my car.