HELP - car won't shift into any gear at all / no symptoms prior / one car family

While it could be the linkage, and I am really hoping it is. Taurus of that gen also have weak transmissions… I was driving my mom’s 2000 Taurus back in 2002 or 2003 so it was fairly young at the time. We were doing 65 MPH on the highway, stepped on the gas lightly while passing someone, trans went to do a down shift… Then nothing… NO GEARS, like the trans was in neutral… pulled over to the side of road, and it was just like you describe move the shifter and it did nothing… Keep in mind this car was doing 65 not 2 min before… Had it towed to the ford dealer and they had the car for 3 weeks because the trans was on national back order due to failures. So while I have my fingers crossed for you on the shift linkage, start thinking about what you would do if it’s the trans itself… PS you know these things never happen when you are flush with cash, and all is good… ITS ALWAYS when something else just happened… PPS CONGRATS on the new baby girl, I have a 7 month old and a 4.5 year old and while it is exhausting its a blast !!!