When Squirrels (or other rodents) eat your car's electrical wires

Sounds like it would be harder for you to wrap the exposed wiring than for the mice to eat the exposed wiring – how about something you could brush on? Rodents can also enter through the body of a car and eat wires in the dashboard and doors (very expensive), and tear up the interior, so consider sealing up any potential entrance points (we do this with a truck we have in a storage lot).

BTW are you from the Crestone area in Colorado? Here’s a rodent story for you. Four years ago I went on a trail maintenance outing in the Colony Lakes area near Colorado’s Crestone Peaks (for those outside the area, this involves a long, difficult four-wheel drive trail that often damages 4WD vehicles --not hte kind of place you’d want to call for a tow truck). As we came out at week’s end, we passed the parking area at the terminus of the trail, saw a GM SUV with its hood up, and asked if we could help. Turns out the drivers had rented this vehicle (and yes, they had the standard clause that forbade them to take it out on this kind of trail) and sure enough, while they were in the mountains, the rodents had eaten through their wiring, sound insulation, and some of the interior. We all wondered just what the heck they were going to do about getting all the wiring repaired several miles from a repair station and how they were going to manage the rental company. Well, I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time, but did we ever feel bad for them (Many of the vehicles we saw on the trail had plenty of spare parts and many drivers were pretty good at fixing things so I am sure they made it out before too long, and the area did have vehicles that could come up and help out at a price). This situation was something worth avoiding.

We kept our food locked up and tried to keep from eating in the truck on the way up, to keep from attracting mice. The driver of our trail vehicle also used moth balls, which could be fairly easily retrieved. Not sure it would work, but our driver said it was pretty standard and “it worked for us.”