Kia Sedona - Sludge, is it too late?

DN4192 - From what I’ve read, sludge occurs from a lack of oil changes (or changing on-time, not necessarily every 3k, but just not doing them) or driving while low on oil (I’ve read, even driving 1 Qt low for an extended period can increase sludge even faster).

I started hearing on noise on start-up that would go away, and when my last mechanic had the car in he heard it and had heard it before in relation to the oil pump. On their test drive the oil pump light came on as well and they suggested I take it to the dealership as they were not equipped to fix an oil pump (on the Kia Sedona it involves taking the engine out).

As far as the price, it was good in my area, and under Blue Book. I bought it from a dealership not a private party, but yeah after what I’ve put into it in the last 9 months I would agree with you that I probably overpaid. I honestly shouldn’t have trusted the dealer and gotten it checked out by an independent mechanic first.

===========================
Shadowfax - You are probably right that it will not cover it. They pay for failed parts not maintenance. As far as shouldn’t have bought, I have used it twice already so it has paid for itself… it’s not something I usually get, but with this car I’m really in that 1% of people who cost them money instead of never using it.