How do you know if your starter is bad?

Car started acting funny a week ago. Have had car for over 2 months with no issues, then last Sat when I went to start it, it sounded like it was hard to start, like battery low. Had batter tested, was told it was low on water, so filled. Drove van all week and no issues till friday when it again seemed hard to start. On Sat hooked up heavy duty battery charger for 5 hours, then went to battery place had it and alternator checked, was told both were fine. Went shopping, came out and went to start and nothing. No sound, no clicks no nothing. All dash lights came on like suppose to when I turned the key but nothing. Also last week when issue first occured I opened hood and got a faint smell of what smelled like burning wires. Well, since van didn’t start, had it towed. Went back this morning to get something from van, tried to start it and it started like it should no issue. So could it be a bad starter? If battery/altanator are fine, what can cause car to sound like low battery/no ability to start but it comes and goes.