Fuel System Cleaning - Damaged my Car

Because I’m an automobile owning idiot, apparently.

It was due for an oil change, and two new tires.

A service shop recommended it. I don’t know much about cars, had not read these forums before this situation.

I bought the car with 30k miles. I don’t know how well it was taken care of before I bought it, what gas they bought, oil change history, etc. I just know that I have taken care of it.

The engine sounded a little rough when idle and I thought it would help. By sounding rough, it was nothing like the noises after the service - after the service it was 10x worse.

The service was only $99 and I thought, “What could possibly go wrong?”. Now I know.

Now I need to know exactly what could have happened, or at least enough to set the service shop owner straight. Like I said, he’s shelling out about a thousand dollars to repair the problem but I still want the $700 or so dollars for the rental car I’ve been driving, the 99$ diagnostic fee from the dealership, and a refund for the fuel system cleaning.

I understand your question of “Why?” if it was meant as I read it. To me it’s like asking a computer owner why they bought a new PC when taking care of their current one (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Free PC Maintenance Software, possibly upgrading memory) would have given the same results.