Your first car

In 1963 I borrowed a few hundred dollars from my father (paid back in a few months) added that to to a few hundred I had and bought a 1962 Sunbeam Imp (demo/loaner car). 850CC 40-45 mpg. I had more fun and great use from that car than any other I have ever had. I also learned a lot about cars.

This car had 12" wheels rear engine, I could keep up 70 mph up hill if it was not too steep.

Years later when I bought my Rabbit diesel, to add to the 1970 VW Beetle, I was still able to fit all three cars (One sideways) in my two car garage.

I eventually sold it to an employee. He bought it on Friday and Monday when he came into work, he had a Bandaid on his head. He thanked me for the car that saved his life. He ran full speed into a parked Impala parked on the berm with no lights. He did not see the Impala until after the accident. I suspect he may have had a drink or two. In any case he ended up with just a scratch and a sour shoulder. The gas tank was shoved under the car as designed and did not leak. Front end collapsed as designed. Proof that small does not mean un-safe.

Funny thing, a few years earlier about three miles from that exit late at night I was in the same car when a Greyhound bus driver fell asleep and ran into me. His first run (and I would guess last) as a driver. No injury (I thought I had a flat tyre until I got out of the car.