Contaminated Gasoline

GreasyJack, the fuel that was drained from the tank was clear with no tint and had a diesel-alcohol type smell to it. The truck would start and quit running almost immediately, prior to the tank being drained. They cleaned the tank, fuel lines, injectors and rails and put new gas in the tank. The truck would not run. They then installed a Fuel Pump Cycle Control Module Kit, GM Part #19167115 and the truck started and ran just fine. My undertsanding is that the filter is an intergrated part of the fuel pump and that there is no in-line filter to replace.
They made their diagnosis based upon the truck starting and not running, draining the gas tank and fining that it did not actually contain 100% gasoline, the smell of what was in the truck, etc., etc… I am able to base any repair decisions on what the service manager and automotive technician tell me. I thought just as you are thinking that it is a simple matter. But was told that with the newer vehicles, contaminated gasoline presents a major problem for the vehicle. I can only pass on what I have been told. As far as the paper and/or news I did not remain in Talladega, AL, where the fuel was purchased, nor did I stay in Anniston, AL where the Colorado was being repaired. I was 2 hours away staying with relatives until the truck was repaired. It ran for about 25 miles after I filled the tank in Talladega. I don’t know how to give 1 word answers.