Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

What is the most reliable American car make/model made in the last 10 years?

If you ONLY cared about cost and reliability, and were forced to buy a (used) American car, which would it be?

Comments

• Ford Crown Victoria. The big police and grandma car.
  • I'd vote for the Crown Vic and similar series of Ford made cars; Lincoln Town cars etc.
  • A) FLAME ON... This question is a very loaded dice..

B) You need to give more info, what type of car/truck? Also What price range if you say cost is a big concern??
  • You know, Ford, Chevy, Saturn, etc.
    Not a loaded question.

What's the most reliable American car of the last decade?
    Don't get lost in the details.
  • Toyota Corollas are manufactured less than 10 miles from my home in Northeast Mississippi. Is it or is it not an American car in your opinion. Also, Hyundais, Volkswagons, BMWs and Nissans are manufactured within a few hours drive of my house. "What determines an American car" was not a loaded question. Although the last year of production was 2005, the Buick Park Avenue seems to hold its own in any comparison of customer satisfaction. I was impressed with the reliability and longevity of the dozens that I serviced, several lasted well beyond 300,000 miles with no major failures.
  • I think the best cars from the Big Three are the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car and the Buick LeSabre/Park Avenue. The reason this could be a loaded question is because of Rod Knox's statement. Many people argue that some of the Japanese and Korean cars are more "American" than comparable domestic models because the assembly plants for the Asian models are located in the United States, while the comparable domestic models may be assembled in Mexico or Canada. Others say only the Big Three can be considered at all "American" because the companies themselves were founded and are based in the United States. This topic has been debated at length on this forum before.
  • I meant cars that are identified as explicitly American (USA logos/manufacturers)
    GM, Ford, Chevy, Saturn, etc. The cars that people say are junk and they'd never buy.
    The anti-Honda, in other words. This was not a trick question.
  • The Ford Panthers, Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Town Car were built from 1992 until 2012. The plant in Canada that built them was closed earlier this year...They used body on frame construction and shared many drive-train parts with F-150's and Mustangs. Fleet buyers swore by them, (Police and Taxi). The small OHC V-8 (4.6L/280 cu.in.) delivered excellent mileage considering the size of the car..They are unequaled for long-distance interstate cruising. Their air conditioning sets the industry standard, their reliability is steadfast. The ones with dual exhausts have the HPP package, more power and improved handling. The P71models, Police Package, bring the chassis up to it's full performance potential. These cars are a joy to drive in the 70-90 MPH range but the ride gets a little choppy at low speeds compared to the standard models...

For me, they deliver the lowest cost per mile in overall transportation costs. The 2005 and newer have some nice upgrades like rack & pinion steering and a 5 link rear suspension. I would avoid the "air-ride" rear suspension..
This discussion has been closed.