Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

What is the best car for snow? Subaru, Honda CRV or Audi?

edited October 2011 in General Discussion
What is the best car for snow? Subaru, Honda CRV or Audi?

• All are pretty good...

Get the vehicle you're most comfortable with.
  • Whichever one of them has winter tires on it.
  • If I was going to get awd, I'd look first at Subaru, better value than Audi.
  • Driver skill is more important, from the list I would pick the Honda.
  • One with a working heater
  • There is no best but there are a lot of good ones. SAABs are great in snow (the Aspen, CO PD used them for decades as cop cars) and while the Dodge Calibers are not my cup of tea my oldest son has an AWD version that is great in foul weather and has been bullet-proof for 4 years.
  • edited October 2011
    There is no one, "which is best" answer. The CRV drive train is very simple, durable but least effective compared to many others. It has no center differential, just slower to react rear clutch packs.The Subaru handles great, but the RAV has more effective ground clearance (numbers don't tell it all, Subarus have very poor approach angles) and a locking feature making it better in really deep mud and snow. I feel the Subaru on ice is best, hands down with it's weight balance and low center of gravity.

IMO, it depends more on where you live and your demands. This ranges from City dweller in the north, CRV, to off road deep snow, no plow country dweller, Tacoma with chains or plow truck which moves the snow before you drive through it.. The skii country standard seems to be the Subaru for overall on road performance.

• edited October 2011
    Put real winter/snow tires on any vehicle and it'll be safer than an Audi/CRV/Subaru with all-season tires.

• edited October 2011
    I agree..but why the false choice ? I'd go further and say awd cars need winter tires more with their added capability, like a Vette needs more expensive performance tires( though not for the same reason). Put winters on an awd car and drive sanely, and you are much safer in an awd car. Add hills and corners on hills and there is absolutely NO comparison.
  • It might be good to consider that my snow may not be the same as your snow. What I might call a light snow, but be a deep snow for someone else.

What is needed for three inches of snow is not the same needed for three feet of snow. We all tend to think of the problem as it applies to us, but it may not be the same.

FWD and winter tyres may be great for me, it may not be safe for the next person.

Snow really is two or more problems. One is getting from point A to point B Another is doing it without loosing control. What works great for me, may prevent you from getting out of your driveway.

Good Luck all
This discussion has been closed.