Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Transmission Slips only on left turns

I have a V6 Automatic 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 94k miles on it. For the last two years my transmission has been slipping only when I make left turns. I have tried changing fluid and filters. The problem hasn't gotten worse but it is pretty dangerous as I cannot accelerate when I make a left turn. I was wondering if there is anything that could be causing this problem.

• edited February 2011

Have the CV joints checked.
  • edited February 2011
    I'd like to be sure you're describing this problem correctly. Are you saying the RPMs of the engine go up but the car doesn't accelerate?
  • edited February 2011
    Sounds like low fluid sloshing away from the pickup in the filter. Has anyone tried overfilling it to see if that would help? Maybe the wrong dipstick. By the way, the 4 liter is an inline 6 not a v6.
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011

In that case, you can ignore my advice about the CV joints!
  • edited February 2011
    Classic symptoms of low fluid level. MAKE SURE you check the fluid level in your transmission with the transmission HOT, vehicle parked on a level surface, AND the gear selector in NEUTRAL. This is very important that you check the level in NEUTRAL. If you refill and check the level in "P" the transmission will read full but as soon as you move your gear selector away from "P", the level will drop considerably. When the level drops the fluid will slosh around in the pan and will cause the pump to suck air when turning.

This discussion has been closed.