Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Honda CRV Propellor shaft

Recently told the propeller shaft on my 97 CRV. 239K is bad, option is to replace - $1000.00 or remove. Undecided - I've kept up maintenance/repairs, really dont want car payments..., but kinda pricey, but maybe offset by sale price - would have to inform any buyer - so lose it there, or lose in repair. Any experience is helpful.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I doubt the propeller shaft is bad. Maybe the joints on the shaft are bad. Do you have a vibration or clicking/knocking/crackling sounds? I think a second opinion is strongly warranted. If this was a quote from a dealer, get the second opinion from a good independent mechanic.
  • edited August 2010
    Service manager tells me the joints/propeller shaft are one unit - have to replace the whole thing.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, but do you have any symptoms?
  • edited August 2010
    Some driveshafts are indeed made in one piece and they are expensive to replace unless you do a workaround.
    The driveshaft in my Merkur was made like this and the driveshaft was only available through the dealer at 700 bucks plus; and that was 10 years ago.

I modified it to use Subaru U-joints. Total cost about 40 bucks. If you don't do your own repair work it will cost more.
    Check the Yellow Pages under the "driveline" category and pay a visit to their shop if you have one in your area. They may be able to get around this problem for a few hundred dollars. It's worth a shot anyway.
  • edited August 2010
    If you are talking about rear end With 239k I am sure you have changed fluid in the rear because if correct honda fluid is not used you will get a noise and they could try and get you to but stuff you do not need.
    Is it making any noise or vibration?
  • edited August 2010
    No. Only indication is 'play' in the shaft - you can rotate the shaft when the vehicle is on a lift, or rear wheels are unweighted. Service Manager says the should be no play. I haven't reached under to see for myself. Actually would assume some play is OK, but don't know the amount.
  • edited August 2010
    Get a second opinion. I'm not convinced removing the shaft will not cause damage. I don't know how the AWD system in the CRV works. Find an independent Honda shop away from the dealer. They may have a less expensive fix similar to what OK4450 mentioned [b]IF[/b] the problem is the propeller shaft.

The fact that you cannot tell any problem when driving tells me you really need a second opinion before committing to anything.
  • edited August 2010
    Get a used shaft from a parts yard. It should run you about $300. Even if it is not new, it will be fine for a vehicle with 239k miles. Many large parts yards even offer a warranty on their parts. I just recently replaced a shaft on a CRV and the used part came with a six month warranty. Not too bad.
This discussion has been closed.