Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Is it ok to drive with two feet?

Noah from Seattle says his boyfriend drives with two feet, something that Noah contends is unsafe.

What camp to you fall into? One foot... or two?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I have been driving automatic transmissions for aprox 55 years, and have always used both feet. I believe it is the only way to drive.
  • edited September 2009
    Every person I have ever seen that has driven an automatic with two feet has driven in the most dangerous of ways.

They would keep their foot on the brake while accelerating, which not only left their brake lights on giving others the impression that they were slowing down or getting ready to stop when they were not, but would also burn up their brakes vastly increasing the amount of brake pad replacements over the life of the car plus creating the risk of having the brake fluid boil leaving them with no brakes at all.

Also, using both feet doubles the chance that you will hit the wrong pedal in split-second emergency situations, or you will leave the gas pedal on while hitting the brake which will almost negate using the brake at all.
  • edited September 2009
    I was taught to only use the right foot. The left foot is for the clutch, if there is one. If not, shove it on the dead pedal and keep it there where it won't interfere, confusing other drivers, burning out brake light bulbs, and putting unnecessary wear on the brakes.
  • edited September 2009
    Driving with 2 feet should only be done when the car is equiped with a clutch. A lot of people believe it is safe but it isn't. Most reasons have been addressed here already. Actually, many people fail a driving test because they drive with 2 feet. The teens down the street were taught by their grandmother to drive that way and everyone of them failed the driving test for that reason. Grandma was furious and let everyone know about it. Well, just a couple of months ago she drove through a retaining wall at the bank drive through. Her oldest teenage granddaughter was in the front seat and told the police that when grandma tried to stop she mashed down with both feet but one was on the brake and one was on the accelerator. Grandma swore that she had both feet on the brake. The tire marks on the road backed up the granddaughter's version. The granddaughter told my son that now she sees the reason for learning to drive with one foot and is now driving that way. Some people will always believe they are right even when told several valid reasons for doing things a certain way.
  • edited September 2009
    This has been a source of contention for my mother-in-law and me. She claims that since she learned to drive with a stick shift, she is used to driving with two feet. So in the absence of the clutch pedal, she uses her left foot on her brake. I told her that since I also learned to drive with a stick shift, I use my right foot for the gas and the brake, and my left for the clutch. So in the absence of the clutch pedal, my right foot still operates the gas and the brake, and my left foot stays idle.
    My ex took my MIL?s side, and called me stupid. Any wonder the ex is the "ex"? Or that my daughter is too scared to ride in my ex-MIL's car?
  • edited September 2009
    I started driving in a 1930 Swallow (the first Jaguar) with a non-synchronized shift (appropriately called a "crash" box). Definitely only one foot, unless you were changing gear (even that could be done using just the gas pedal, if you got the revs exactly right). Using two feet either wore out the front brakes (the only ones connected to the pedal - by a simple cable; to use the rear brakes you had to use the parking lever) or the clutch thrust race (which needed frequent use of the oilcan to keep it lubricated). So I'm a single-pedal guy. Or was until recently. As a result of a foot injury, I don't trust my right foot to give enough pressure on the brake, so I now drive with both feet - but I am very careful not to let my left foot "ride" the brake pedal. That's a recipe for accelerated wear or brake failure due to overheating - not something to be experienced in the canyons here in Utah!.
  • edited September 2009
    Well, I do not ride the brakes, and have never had a problem using my left foot on the brake. I accidently let my licence expire some year back, took my driver's test driving with both feet and passed just fine. I even reminded the Officer that I used both feet and he told me to drive however I wanted to. It is so simple, the right foot to go and the left foot to stop. It is possible that one might get confused while driving a stick, but I hate stick shifts and avoid them. Thanks for hearing me out!!!
  • edited September 2009
    shifting gears without the clutch with a non-synchronized transmission is not a good idea! If someone is so stupid as to keep the brakes on while driving, then they had better use just the right foot or not drive at all!!
  • edited September 2009
    Ofcourse it's ok- way faster reaction time to brake.
    uh... - if your brain can't tell what your left foot is doing while using the right, then you have bigger problems. I always drove stick shift, and when I moved to automatic, I got scared trying to drive just with one foot.
    The left foot is on the foot rest till is called to action - the right foot knows what the left foot is doing - at least for most people - and eases the gas pedal - pretty simple.
    Yes, they don't teach people to drive in th US - just to operate the car - quite different
  • edited September 2009
    bacalhau. you are right-on. I have seen people trying to drive to a certain spot with one foot, they fall short or go past the spot. With the left foot on the brake you can stop right where you want to. (without hitting something).
This discussion has been closed.