Is it ok to drive with two feet?

I prefer to use my right hand and my right foot to operate the brakes and the throttle with my right hand. I prefer to use my left foot for shifting gears, and my left hand to operate the clutch.

On a serious note, since I prefer to drive vehicles with manual transmissions, and I like to ride motorcycles, I have learned to operate the brakes with the same appendage that operates the throttle.

The way I see it, if you brake with your left foot, the only thing you can drive is something with an automatic transmission. If you are capable of operating your throttle and brakes with the same appendage, you can learn to drive or ride any motorized vehicle on wheels. If the only thing I could drive was something with an automatic transmission, I think that would be a pretty dull existence.

The only thing I care to drive is with an automatic transmission. And I perfer an electric starter over a hand crank of the 20s. As you (whitey) already know. However, I did drive a manual for many miles until my Company bought an automatic delivery truck. I hated it (the one with the manual) but didn’t have any trouble driving it. In that case it was almost nesessary to use my right foot on the brake. I might be smarter than the average bear, but I can drive either one.

The only thing I care to drive is with an automatic transmission. And I perfer an electric starter over a hand crank of the 20s. As you (whitey) already know.

If I already knew it, why do you keep repeating yourself? Is this a matter of quantity instead of quality? It seems that if you can’t convince people your way is the best, you are going to just keep repeating yourself. What are you hoping to accomplish?

This discussion is about preferences, and I have simply stated my preference. Who in his right mind would want to argue about preferences? What’s next? Are you going to start arguing about which colors are your favorites?

If your Fred Flintstone, yes it’s ok

I wanted to say that, Really riding in a car with somone who is using both feet is very annoying, they are always in parking lot situations with the brakes straining to hold the car back (never seem to get the idea you only push one pedal at a time).

I have been a one foot autotrans driver for 40 years and I dread riding with 2 footers. My informal pool puts them in the "almost ready to hang up the keys " crowd.

Follow this rule: Use your right foot for the brake. Use your left foot for the transmission control (down for low, all the way out for high). Use your right foot for the reverse pedal as you have to hold the left pedal halfway down in the neutral position to activate reverse pedal. The throttle control is on the steering column–don’t use your foot here–use your right hand.

The above applies only to a Model T Ford, but the Model T is the only car worth driving anyway. What you are supposed to do in these new fangled contraptions is anybody’s guess.

I don’t know what your laws are concerning this subject, but here in Ontario, Canada, if you are caught using the left foot on the brake and the right for the accelerator you’ll fail the road test.

It’s not fair to suggest that we 2 footers ride the brake pedal. I’ve always driven this we and never keep my left foot on the brake, although I’m sure some people do.

lenjack, there are guys on here that only drive 4 cylinder, manual transmission, AM radio, without A/C, rubber mats, no power windows or door locks, as cheap as they can get, and keep the RPMs up around 4000. Some think a 4 cylinder warms up faster because it is smaller, not considering that a 6 has more fire burning to warm it up. One guy thinks a 6 is so much heavier that is counteracts the extra power. The same guy said that Ford decided that by shortening the duration between power strokes, the engine would run smoother and that a V6 is badly out of balance. One guy said that the power stroke was not an explosion but a “burning” and the beat goes on!! I don’t go here for help anymore, just go here to read the weird remarks.

Usually one. If I feel the need to change the direction of the vehicle with the brake and accel pedals, then two.

[b]Right on, bacalhau. The reaction time is unbelievably shortened.

We learned, as cable TV techs, to drive our vans defensively. We had a two day driving course and were taught accident avoidance. It was a worthwhile benefit I use even in personal driving. One of the tricks we learned to safer driving was using two feet in city traffic. Much greater control. I felt I was much more attentive and felt like I was driving with both sides of my body. It really makes a difference. All it takes is serious practice and anybody can master it. Nothing to be afraid of.[/b]

Elly,I have seen some television adds that advertise for the kind of places you should go for help.

I keep repeating myself because you’re a little slow and don’t get it the first time!!

I did get it the first time, and I chose to answer the question “What camp to you fall into? One foot
 or two?”

As to whether or not I am slow, perhaps you should try acting like a mature adult. It would be a refreshing change.

As far as I am concerned, if you want to use your left foot for the brake, that is your business. How I operate my vehicles is my business, and whether or not I am willing to ride with someone who brakes with his left foot is also my business.

You continue to amaze me with your bitter and petty narrow-mindedness.

Oldschool, what kind of places are they, junior high schools?

Left Foot Braking by a Master. Most of us really do not know how to truly drive a car!

Colin McRea. Notice the shifting.

Is it ok? Yes it is! This topic is getting beat like a dead horse.
I operate manual trans vehicles, and for you nit-pickers I use the left foot for the brake and clutch and the right foot for the accelerator. Sometimes I even left foot brake with a manual but before anyone vapor locks and exclaims I am dangerous you do not know me, my abilities the conditions or the surroundings of the given situation.

I operate an automatic with either right or left foot braking. Before anyone vapor locks and exclaims I am dangerous you do not know me, my abilities the conditions or the surroundings of the given situation. I do not ride the brakes nor do I ride the accelerator.

I operate motorcycles with both hands and both feet ( I am such a rebel).

I operate heavy and small machines in manners that cause the said machine to do various tasks with both hands and both feet.

Have those that are opposed to left foot braking ever tried it? I am sure most have not therefore how can they condemn it? If they have tried it but don’t like it does that mean it is wrong? It may be for them but not for everybody. Some of us who drive use vehicles more than a means of transport to work or the grocery store. Some of us (myself included) try to get really connected with the vehicle when driving or in other words use the vehicle as an extension of themselves and can operate a vehicle in manners that others cannot.

If you do not like left foot braking then don’t do it but do not condemn a practice you simply do not care for. That is like saying manual trans cars are wrong because you prefer an auto.

1 Like

Insurance studies indicate that, in panic stop situations, most people using the two-feet method stomp down with both feet (one on each pedal).

The key word there is panic.

One foot.

When my dad got his first car with an automatic transmission and with power brakes which did not require much of a push on the brake pedal to actuate the brake lights, I had to tell him that he was driving down the road with the brake lights on. He was using the two foot method. I still see this once in a while or see occasionally flashing brake lights for no apparent other reason.

I have seen the results of two footed driving on a low, brick retaining wall where an older gentleman attacked it with his car by pushing the wrong pedal.

meaneyedcatz, I have seen people in this thread state their personal preferences, but who has opposed left foot braking? I can’t find anyone telling someone else what they are doing is wrong, except maybe EllyEllis, but he is getting off topic.

What I find interesting is how some people have gotten defensive based on other people’s preferences.

I agree, when done correctly, left foot braking is strictly a matter of preference.

After watching that video, I wonder which side of this debate you are on. I would hate to see people driving like that on the streets, and there were times Colin McRea was pressing on the gas and the brake at the same time.