Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Oil quantity of 2.4 liter Toyota Camry

I own a 2009 Toyota Camry SE with a 2.4 2azfe engine and 4.5 qts seems to overfill the engine. I manage an oil change place where i've been there almost 7 years so i know i have the skill to do my own oil change. I used a Prolater pureone oil filter #PL14477 and 4.5 qts of valvoline 5W20 full synthetic oil. When I was done I noticed that it was overfilled by a quarter of a quart. I then lowered the oil and made it on the full mark. A couple of weeks later i had a simillar Toyota Camry come through and installed 4.5 qts of oil and again it came up overfilled. I had to lower the customers oil for him and showed it to him to verify it was on the full mark. The other day I had another Camry come in and this time i only added 4.25 qts of oil and it was on the full mark. The thing that gets me is our computer at work shows it should have 4.5 qts when replacing the filter and so does the owners manual. Is it possible that the dipstick is short from the factory leaving the oil level too high? Is there a typo in the owners manual where it should say 4.25 qts instead? I know it's only a quarter of a quart difference but i've never seen this happen before. If you have any feedback or experience with this issue i would really appreciate your feedback and thanks in advadnce.

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I think the capacity numbers in the owners manual are for a bone dry factory fill.

With an oil change the engine is not bone dry.

Same thing happens with my MIL's 01 Civic.
  • edited May 2009
    Go With The Manual. When You Run It And Fill The Filter, It'll Be Close Enough!

We're talking 8 to 16 ounces of oil, here. I don't think there's anything to worry about. Use the manual's recommendation. Besides, how do you know the dipstick accurately shows 1/4 quart too much? I don't think it is designed to measure anything more than full.

CSA
  • edited May 2009
    Are you looking at the dipstick after the oil's been filled, but before the engine has been run? Some of that oil will go to fill up the oil filter and cooler/cooler lines (if there is one) once the engine is operated. Almost every vehicle I've changed oil on reads somewhat high if I haven't run the engine yet, but it settles down to full afterwards.
  • edited May 2009
    Budd 2049, Don't Forget, This Person Managed An Oil Change Place For 7 Years!

CSA
  • edited May 2009
    And he uses Prolater filters.
  • edited May 2009
    "Shot By His Own Gun?"
  • edited May 2009
    After install of the filter and the oil I run my personal vehicle for atleast 2 minuites after the oil change has been done and then wait a few minuites to let the oil settle. I would take a purolater filter that is almost a half of an inch longer than an M1-103 oil filter that's shorter any day. And i've been in the oil change business for almost 7 years where i've been the manager for 3 plus years.
  • edited June 2009
    HUH...that doesn't make sense at all...

Toyota is giving you information on oil change that according to you a situation that could NEVER happen. I've NEVER EVER heard this. EVERY single vehicle I've done an oil change on in the past 35+ years (were talking HUNDREDS of oil changes on close to a hundred different vehicles).....will have a capacity of how much oil is needed to bring it to the full mark. There are two numbers in the manual...one for with filter and one without....A filter can hold up to a quart of oil (thus the different number).
  • edited June 2009
    It's Good To Hear That You're That Conscientious. Not All Oil Change Places Offer That.

Is this an independent or what "chain" are you with?

CSA
  • edited June 2009
    I'm with VIOC. Thanks for the compliment. I treat every customers car like my own even if they want an oil like 10w30 for a car that takes 5w20. I try to show that to my customers so they see i'm honest and i'm out for their best interest.
This discussion has been closed.