Can you have too much CCA?

My car battery died and bought a new battery. My concern is, the new batteries CA and CCA’s are much higher than the OEM. I was told by the auto parts store that the higher numbers will not hurt anything and only help. Is there any adverse effect in having a couple of hundred more CCA’s than OEM? Could it hurt the starter motor, ECU, etc. in the long run?

As long as it physically fits in the battery tray and hold-down, there will be no problem. Your new battery simply has more cranking capacity than your original. A good thing on cold mornings!

as long as you didnt pay too much, no prob.

It would be of interest to know the specific vehicle and the CCA numbers. There are real reasons to want to know, not just because I might have a joke in there somewhere. MORE. After seeing your reply, you have a good size battery for the car. No problem and you didn’t get crazy. More than recommended is usually considered as being better.

Just to clarify a bit: Your starter will draw what it needs from the battery. The extra reserve in the battery won’t be used except under adverse conditions, when you’ll be glad you have it.

Thanks to all for your responses.
The particulars:
1990 300ZX NA 2+2 that I purchased in Aug. 1989. (it’s my weekend fun car now) The new battery has 875CA and 700CCA. more than what is needed, but it was at a price equal to most quality batteries with lesser warranties and lower CCA.

The ONLY down-side to buying more CCA than specified for your car is the additional weight. The automotive engineers work overtime to shave every unnecessary pound off the car to maximize gas mileage. It gives them migranes when we put in oversized batteries and carry our tire chains around in the trunk all year round.

If you are OK with an extra 5 lbs, then you will find that an oversized battery gives you an extra time buffer for when you leave the lights on at the shopping center or the door ajar over the weekend, etc. It will also be helpful on a subzero morning. Finally, an oversized maintenance free will not cycle as deeply and the result will be more years of service.

That’s The Weight Of A Quarter Pounder With Cheese, Fries, And A drink To Go.
I hope it’s OK!

Are You Right On The Verge Of Another “Means Test”? I’m Getting Out Of Here!

(Just kidding.)

Agree; manufacturers sell the same car with many different size batteries depending on location. In the tropics a Toyota Corolla has a puny battery (around 500 CCA), in the US a medium size one and in Canada a HEAVY DUTY model. I live near the Rocky Mountains and we have some very cold weather. When you park your car outside a ski lodge, you want it to start the next morning. We put the largest size battery in that fits it the case.

My Caprice had a 1000 CCA which allowed starts in any weather.

Actually the new battery was slightly smaller and weighed much less than the old battery. Although all batteries are heavy, the new one was MUCH lighter than the one I bought 7 years ago. And that really made it a lot easier to install because of the very tight space that it fits into. So I guess I won all around…more power and lighter to boot.

it means we have a … lack of communication!

Just be sure that it is held down tight. A bouncing battery is not a happy battery. The only trouble with more CCA might be in hot climate. The higher CCA batteries have more, thinner plates that warp more easily. Some manufacturers have different models for different climates. The hot climate batteries have fewer CCA, and fewer plates. Note that batteries are still being developed and improved, though I think that most of the effort is on maintenance-free batteries rather than the more serviceable ones.

Thanks for the input, but I would never think of leaving the battery in its holder loosely.

Georgia will get hot in the summer, but it is not like South Florida and while we don?t get the misery of constant snow on the ground, it does get cold (will be in the low 20?s by Friday). As far as warping possibility?with a 3 year free replacement and 8 total years warranty, I guess I?m not to concerned, but thanks for the heads up, the info is good to know.