Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Car stalls only after adding gas

I have a 2003 Hyundai Sonata that in the past 2 weeks has started stalling after I add gas to the car. I have to rev the engine a few times, and then, when it feels like the car won't stall, I put the car in Drive and release the brake pedal. The car runs fine until the next time I add gas. This started right after I had my oil changed at one of the 30-minute oil change places so I don't know if it is a coincidence that this problem started then or if something was done to my car while the oil was being changed. My mechanic couldn't fin anything wrong, and the dealer never heard of such a problem. I'm trying to save $90, which is the dealer's diagnostic service charge, if I can find someone who may have experienced the same problem and has a solution I can bring with me to the dealer.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2008
    How full are you adding gas? If you add more gas after the pump automatically shuts off, that could be the cause of your problem (theoretically).
    My theory is that gasoline fumes, or raw gas, are going into the EVAP carbon canister; the EVAP purge valve is open (it shouldn't be); the flood of gasoline fumes are being drawn into the engine and flooding it. Good theory, eh?
  • edited December 2008
    There is a recall on the ball valve for the gas tank on this model. I am not sure if yours is involved or anybody has worked on it. The recall is for when the car flips then gas might leak, but it seems like most dealerships while repairing this broke something else in the process. I agree with hellokit that your gas tank is not ventilating properly. Maybe too much air stays in and the fuel pump is not getting fuel. I had bought a use '02 and could not fill-up the tank and two different dealers could not figure it out, so I returned the car at a loss, but saved myself a lot of time.
  • edited December 2008
    Francy, Just For The Heck Of It, Put In Some Gas Line Anti-Freeze.

This stuff goes by other names. DRY GAS is a Cristy brand. It could also be called gas line-drier.

My theory is that maybe you have a little water in your gas tank. It happens to the best of us. Being more dense than gas, it settles in the bottom. Gasoline rushing in during a fill-up stirs up the water. Your car struggles with water in the gas until it settles out.

If it's cold where you live and it was toasty warm inside "Quicky Petroleum", and particulary if your tank was low and already had a little moisture, then going from cold to warm to cold, could have added condensation (water) to your tank.

(This is for Hello Kit, Good theory, eh? Did I miss anything?)

Whatever the outcome from all this excellent advice everybody gave, let us know what happens.

Follow the Dry Gas instructions and maybe get two. Use it for two tankfuls. Also, try letting the car sit several minutes after the first 2 fill-ups.
  • edited December 2008
    Francy, Or Just About Anybody For That Matter, Can Check Their Car For Recalls.

Galant has offered good advice.

Write down the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) exactly as it is stamped on a tag at the bottom, driver's side of the dashboard where it meets the windshield, as viewed from outside the car.

Many dealers will check for "open" recalls (ones needing to be done) on cars over the telephone. They will need that VIN read to them. Most recalls are performed "free of charge" on vehicles at the dealer. Inquire about that when checking for open recalls.
  • edited December 2008
    Thank you for so much for your suggestion. I added a bottle of Iso-Heet (?) last night, and then, put gas in my car this morning. It was easier to get the car started after adding gas, but not back to normal. I am going to add another bottle and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
    Francy
  • edited December 2008
    I checked the Internet, and it looks like my car is part of the recall which you mentioned. I have not had it to the dealer for that repair. I am trying the dry gas approach, and then, if that doesn't resolve the problem, I will pursue the suggestion from hellokit.
    Thanks,
    Francy
  • edited December 2008
    If there was water in the system, it may not be back to normal until after the current tank of gas is used. It might even get worse for a while.

BTW if there is a recall, you should have it done, even if your car does not seem to need it. If you don't it may need it next week, or it may cause other damage if not done.
  • edited December 2008
    Hopefully, the fix will be free of charge. I'll call the dealer and confirm that my car is part of the recall and make arrangements to have it fixed if it is. What a nuisance cars can be!
  • edited December 2008
    Iso-Heet Is Good! That Is One Of Many Products On The Market.

Thanks for keeping us informed. We sometimes never hear back from people. We appreciate it. Cars can be bring great joy, but you are right, at times they can be a real nuisance. Hopefully you'll get through this and be filled with joy, again!
This discussion has been closed.