Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

Quiet, smooth riding 4 door sedan advice

I'm interested in a 4 door sedan (max price is $35k) that's (a) midsize, (b) quiet and (c) a very smooth ride).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Don't know the price, but I have heard the new Honda Accord is very good on that.
  • edited October 2008
    Avalon would be tops on my list, given those requirements (same size as an Accord these days). If smaller, a Camry V6. You might also check out the Malibu v6.
  • edited October 2008
    Are they quiet? I usually shy away from Accord because Consumer Reports usually gives them below average on that score, but if Honda's addressed this I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks!
  • edited October 2008
    That ceiling price gives you lots of good choices. Start with a copy of Consumer Reports New Car Buyers' Guide from the local bookstore. Follow that up with a few weekends taking test drives of the ones that look interesting.
  • edited October 2008
    Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Hundai Soanta and the new Malibu all have good rides. Of those the Camry is the quietest, while the Accord is the noisest but the most fun to drive. The Mazda 6 is a nice car, but you would probably find it too jumpy and sporty to be serene.
  • edited October 2008
    I forgot about the Mazda 6 - it's all new for 2009, and Car and Driver criticized it for being too quiet, so it'd be worth a try.
  • edited October 2008

The Hyundai Azera should be added to the list. A worthy competitor to the Toyota Avalon, the Azera sells for ~$3,500. less than the Avalon. I have ridden in my brother's Azera, and it rides very luxuriously while being very quiet.
  • edited October 2008
    I'll second the Azera, just rented one, drove it from KC to Topeka and back. Very smooth, and a high-quality interior. Got 25 mpg at 75 mph.
  • edited October 2008

My brother reports 29-30 mpg while cruising at 65-70 mph in his Azera.
  • edited October 2008
    Since you mention quiet as a desired feature, whatever you test drive make sure you try rolling the windows down to see how that affects noise.

I didn't think to do that when buying a new car a couple of years ago and found to my distress after buying an otherwise very nice Chevy Impala that it makes a terrible sound if only a couple of windows are opened. You have to have all four open or closed to avoid the problem.
This discussion has been closed.