Zimmer electrical issues

My 1982 Zimmer(which is really a 1982 mustang with the battery moved to the trunk. after 42K miles, it suddenly began to burn out starters(3!!!)and dead batteries. I just found a kill switch from the negative pole had loosened and occasionaly touched the frams. Could this Negative to ground explain both problems?

Thanks

Nope. Trace the negative battery cables. It connects to the engine and car body.

Have you had the charging system checked?

I just found a kill switch from the negative pole had loosened and occasionaly touched the frams.

It’s not due to touching the frame, it’s because it was LOOSE enough to do that. Loose = increased resistance = poor charging and making starter motors work extra hard with insufficient voltage and current. The problem is exacerbated by the remote location of the battery. Just curious, what size of conductors did you use when you did the relocation?

Battery was put in trunk by Zimmer Motors in 1982. No problems since then till now; 40K miles. Mechanic said battery cable was appropriate–it is huge–I believe he said it was #1. Thanks for your help. Do you think the loose switch could account for both the battery drain and the starter deaths?

Does this car still use the fender mounted starter solenoid? If so, maybe the solenoid is hanging up or staying engaged due to an ignition switch problem. This is turn may keep the starter motor engaged and will fry it quickly.
Whenever a starter is replaced the solenoid should always be replaced at the same time.

OK, that’s good. Bigger is always better when it comes to those cables. Yes, I do believe that could be the cause of your troubles for the reason I gave in the prior post. Good luck!