You like Subaru? You like convertibles? Why not have both?

Car dealers do the strangest things to their vehicles. Just think about how many cars are out there with awful vinyl and fabric roof add-ons, a generation after manufacturers nearly swore them off entirely. Manchester Subaru in Manchester, New Hampshire isn't content to create some sticker-and-tape fake trim level on a top-dog 2011 Subaru WRX STI. Instead, the dealer has gone all Chainsaw Massacre on the rally-bred performance sedan. The result is a picnic basket of automotive woe.

At least the "handle" left after all the chop-shopping maintains a fleeting semblance of rigidity. The rest? Awful. There's an ill-fitting tonneau, chopped door pillars and the STI's trademark enormous wing still hangs off the trunklid. The worst part? This poor Subaru's price is purportedly $75,000. Not kidding. Sure, there's an "exclusivity" factor, but 75 large buys an awful lot of real high performance convertible; the kind that won't corner like an overcooked noodle. The dealership reportedly commissioned five of these abominations, which is likely five more than anyone wants. Thanks for the tip, Jason!?

http://www...idea-ever/
http://www...tible.htm#
Obviously someone at the dealership had a little too much to drink one night and was given carte blanche by an equally drunk manager from the looks of it.
Though I have to wonder if this isn't some sales stunt similar to the dealership in Georgia that bought the Chevy Volt up in New York just to get customers into the door.

Argh! To me it looks like they didn’t even bother making a top, they just cut off the roof and left it as is. Also: 4 door convertibles died a long time ago (as they should have).

My 2 door convertible (that was MEANT to be a convertible) has a significant amount of roll and terrible handling at high speeds due to the loss of the roof. Even with giant steel bars welded into the doors and rear quarters, this car is by no means able to outperform its coupe counterpart. I am, to be quite honest, very surprised that this subaru can still pass inspection as it doesn’t have a real frame and would likely kill everyone inside in a crash. Modern convertibles have windshields that act as roll bars. Even with that center roll bar, my guess is this heavy machine would get crushed like a pancake if it were to ever roll.

nice… different…cut chop and rebuild…?? this one car you would love to show at a car meet. one of a kind, limited edition. this would definitely turn heads.
there is one slight problem i am concern about! safety!!! when you do an extreme modification to a car body like this you have to consider body structure! 300+ horse power on a skate board…? where is the roll cage!? good luck finding insurance!

Blargh.
I meant to post this in the general discussion forum, not the R&M section :confused:

Also, for $75,000, one could buy a Porsche convertible, or a Mustang GT-500 convertible, or any number of high end cars/convertibles that were designed to be convertibles in the first place

Horror is one word that comes to mind, along with overpriced.

The part I don’t get is how a Subaru dealer would be allowed by corporate to do this. I wonder if the car is actually sold (turned over may be a better phrase) to another outfit which then performs the modifications and in reality makes this a used vehicle while putting a buffer in between the dealer and any potential lawsuits that may arise?

The only Subaru I’ve ever seen that was uglier was the 80s era 4 door sedan version that was factory built to resemble a Lincoln Town Car. Padded vinyl roof, opera windows, and slathered in cheap gold electroplated plastic from one end to the other.

An 80s reject of the 70s? :stuck_out_tongue:

subaru warrenty!? CYA! get it on paper with notery. update your will!

You probably couldn’t get it over 40 or 50mph without the whole car walking on you

I have to ask, why does this matter to you? Or to anyone?

It’s ONE car. There will never be another.

Someone, eventually, will find it attractive, for whatever reason, and buy it.

Maybe.

Then it will be gone.

End of story.

Five? I doubt it.

Yeah, but they would be just run-of-the-mill cars… for super-cars. Being unique has its price. I like it. If I had cubic yards of disposble income, I might cnosider one.

“The part I don’t get is how a Subaru dealer would be allowed by corporate to do this.”

Why not? The dealer is a franchise owner, and modified a car he bought from Subaru. This isn’t the first time. Yenko Camaros command a huge premium. Shelby modified Mustangs. I can’t recall what other coupes have been turned into convertibles, but it’s been done before. Yenko and Shelby modifications are more to your liking, but someone will be interested in the car. We can at lease applaud the dealer for having the guts to take a chance and put his own money up on his gamble.

When I think of convertibles I think of a leisurely drive on a warm, fair weather day.
No need for AWD or a tricked out engine, although power is always seductive.