You can't work on your own car now!

Fuel injection, climate control, power rear view mirrors, abs, traction control, stability control and of course, mp3 and satellite music sources instead of the “reliable” 8 tracks :=(. People used to complain that auto trans, power steering and brakes were unnecessary for the “real” driver. Now most/all can’t get along w/o them. I would argue that there’s really little that isn’t better and more reliable.

Fuel Injection isn’t new…Been around 100 years.

Climate Control - I have it…rarely use it.

Power Mirrors - I’m assuming you’re talking about the side mirrors…I agree.

Abs - Nice to have. But I learned how to drive and control a car without it. I think I’ve actually NEEDED it once. And even then if I didn’t have it, it would have been a minor accident.

Traction Control - Again…came in handy once. I do really like it though. We do get some black ice here from time to time…And some nasty ice storms.

Mp3 - nice…but not necessary…

Satellite - Not needed…I much prefer HD radio. Maybe if you’re a Long Distance trucker or you travel a lot in the boonies then it might be nice to have.

I use to think that power windows was a unnecessary item…Now I won’t buy any vehicle without it.

You people are forgetting about timing belts on sideway motors.

In order to do a timing belt on a VW Jetta,[not sideways] the entire front end must be removed. Bumper, lights,core support.A/C evacuated, Radiator removed etc…

How about seized ball joints? Sure, scanners are used and electrical nightmares are just that,but the o’le BFH is still used.

Band- aids are always in demand,due to sharp everything.

If find the modern cars much easier to work on than many older cars with carburators. Working on some of those carbs were a real pain and the points, plugs ect didn’t last long.
You do need a good manual, I allways buy the factory manual, also a scanner and a few basic tools.

I’m new to the forum, but lets face it, everybody on here is a wrench as I am. Sure I love the simplicity of my 47 Willys cj2, but I also have to drive my 2003 dodge van. Bottom line is we all will conform because were wrenches.
Scanners seem to make things simple but they only tell part of the story. You still have plenty of diagnostics left on your plate most of the time. It’s for this reason I’m sure happy I found this sight.