Yes, warming up your cold car can causengine damage

Think of it as the ubiquitous light bulb under the hood.
Excepthathe skillet won’t shatter and throw sparks. And it cycles on and off. And theating element will not get hotter than design or an internal thermofuse opens.

Wastat, not emergent.
Had time to add the last sentence.

But upon my arrival becamemergent.
Waited 10 minutes as blood center personnel packed three additional boxes.
(Was nice notifying the six law enforcement agencies through whose jurisdictions I would be traveling while seated athe blood center. Usually I must call them while driving.)

I started a new discussion about that here Researching Toyota throttle by wire unwanted acceleration or stuck throttle cases . It doesn’t seem that software can be ruled out as one of the causes.

You might be surprised at the number of people or are idiots then.

Which isn’t enough with a 175 pound person and speeds over about 30 MPH. A 35 MPH test with no airbag caused the driver’s head and chest to slam in to the steering wheel at 21 MPH after the load limiter allowed extra seat belt to spool out.

If a slow driver cuts in front of you and you hit them at 55 MPH and your airbag deploys, now you could still being going 40 MPH and lose control and hit a stationary object at 40 MPH with no airbag and a seat belt that can’t protect you over 30 MPH. Such accidents have happened and were fatal.

You’re wrong. 1000 sudden jolt strength is more then enough. They are also have a tensile strength of 3000-6000 lbs.

1 Like

Life is too important to rely on seat belts and air bags. My vw had neither and we both lived.

As I said before though the talk radio host Bruce Williams bought his wife a new Chrysler corp car. Three times it had sudden acceleration that they could not correct. Sued Chrysler and lost and just had the car crushed so no one else could drive it. This was not a mat or gas pedal problem but an electronic problem. I refuse to accept the fact that a cal highway patrol would drive off a cliff and kill his family over a stuck gas pedal. We know people lie and somewhere there is an engineer that knows the truth. Not saying all cases and all brands but at least some were electronics that has never been identified.

1 Like

Went on a trail ride (horses) no seatbelts😁, but we were required to wear helmets!

It is 2023. can’t we all just get along? Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

@Bing. Your statement about life being too important to worry about seat belts and air bags made me think about a statement I made in a computer science class I taught. I told my students when learning a new piece of software to learn the essentials first to do a task. After that, you can use the special features. “It’s like driving a car”, I said. “I know only four things about operating a car. Turning the steering wheel clockwise makes the car go to the right. Turning the wheel counterclockwise makes the car go left. The right pedal makes the car go and the left pedal stops the car. My wife is the only one who knows how to use the heating and air conditioning and I roast in the winter and freeze in the summer in the car. My son is the only one who knows how to work the radio, so I have to put up with a rock station at 100 db. I have never figured out how the headlights and windshield wipers work, but I wouldn’t use them anyway as lights and wipers are for wimps. However, I can get anyplace I need to go by knowing just the four things: 1) turn the wheel clockwise to go right; 2) turn the wheel counterclockwise to go left; 3) step on the right pedal to go; 4) depress the left pedal to stop”.
The analogy between learning software and operating a car was lost on one graduate student in the class. This student had to see my wife who was an administrator in the graduate office about a problem. He saw my picture on Mrs. Triedaq’s desk. He then asked “Does Professor Triedaq really drive a car without ever using headlights or windshield wipers”?

2 Likes

I reported exactly what happens when state patrol troopers, unfamiliar with the blood center and with hospitals, do whathey call “Blood Relays”.
The trvth is deemed unacceptable here and my post hidden.

Due to the problems of our state patrol troopers being busy investigation traffic accidents, I gethe blood to the blood banks much earlier.

But on one occasion, a trooper obtained a critical specimen from a mountain hospital 110 miles west of the blood center. He rushed the specimen easto the borderline of hisector and gave ito another trooper. She rushed the specimen east and met me parked on an eastbound interstate on-ramp from where I continued it east to the blood center.
The troopers saved over ahour by my not continuing west to the hospital and then that same distance east.

Hopefully this trvth will not be censored.

Maybe if you stop bragging about yourself and stick to Cartalk subjects you might not get flagged as often .

2 Likes

Bragging about what?
Reality be bragging?

Reality is that I called the State Patrol and asked them tobtain the critical specimen.
On another similar situation, a state patrol dispatcher said their trooper was athe west border of his sector and by the time he would geto that hospital, I would be there sooner.

As I’ve said before…your stories are total bull. No way in hell is this allowed in any state.

2 Likes

Tell Colorado and Wyoming thathey should not allow EMT volunteers to do this.

I hope if I need a blood transfusion that the courier delivering blood brings the right type. When I had a blood sample drawn last month the lab technician looked at my blood sample and said, “My goodness, you are an old geezer. Your blood type is straight 30 non-detergent. You are too old to have 10W-30 in your veins, and certainly not synthetic 0W-20”.
I hope I just did my part to keep this discussion automotive related.

5 Likes

That’s what YOU say. No state says a vehicle delivering blood can travel over 100mph (which you’ve claimed many times in this forum). Unless there’s something like a bus crash, no way would a hospital need blood in an hour (which again you’ve claimed many times in this forum). Sorry…don’t believe it for a second.

1 Like

Can warming up your car cause engine damage? Sure it can, so can running your engine. Stop damaging your engine people. DO NOT start your car, EVER, or else catastrophic damage can occur ! !

7 Likes

@MikeInNH I frequently traveled at 100 on the way to gigs with my fellow musicians in the Ford Aerostar that I owned and was never stopped. I haven’t had a minivan since the Aerostar where the speedometer would register 100.
The speedometer on the Aerostar had a digital readout. There was a button to change the output from miles per hour to kilometers per hour. I set it for kilometers per hour to experience the metric system. My musical friends were always impressed at the tempo we traveled

2 Likes

When I was bored driving home sometimes I’d flip the switch to metric. Better than counting telephone poles like dad used to do. I’d count semi trucks per mile though for my own economic indicator.

(0305 Home from a blood transport.)
Your skepticism is understandable.
Colorado issues emergencyehicle authorizations for medical transport vehicles.
The authorization is required for the vehicle to havemergency lights and siren.

Not only blood products and specimens, emergency drugs such as Digibind®, antitoxins, antivenins, transplantissues and organ transplanteams. Also medical instruments and machines.

Photo red light videos have been posted here of themergencyehicle proceeding through red traffic signals.

We try to never starthengine by doning backpacks and riding our tandem bicycle to the grocery store, Home Depot and Walmart.
It’s also the registered tree hugger and Greenie thing to do!

The 2016 RX350 has been draining since Tuesday evening. Now to screw in the oil plug and fill with 6 qts Mobil1 0W-20 full synthetic motor oil. (I use the same oil in our clocks.)