Yes, warming up your cold car can causengine damage

Wait, what?? You have an electric skillet turned on in an enclosed space with a flammable sheet and source of gasoline?

Does your insurance company know about this wilfully careless and dangerous misuse of kitchen appliance?

2 Likes

In the 40s and 50s folks were known to put hot charcoal under their cars so they would start in the morning. Yeah kaboom. Yeah

Yes.
Plugs in to an extension cord. Dial seto 250Âș F.
Its four plastic feet on the concrete floor.
It is under the oil pan.
It it catches fire, there is little combustible material. The flames cannot reach the cloth sheet on the top of the hood.
Cycles on and off and keeps the engine compartment slightly warm.

Doesn’t Lexus offer a block heater (cold weather package) for your vehicle?

If you look through some of his earlier threads, you will see that this is the same person who previously informed us that he “heats-up his engine and transmission faster” by idling the vehicle in gear with the emergency brake applied.

I seriously doubt if that practice would lead to noticeably faster warm-up, but I am pretty sure that most people would agree with me that his automotive routines are
 not safe.

2 Likes

@p.g.i.holmes_156524 If you look at some other posts by this Robert Gift Troll you will understand why some of the regulars here have blocked him .

2 Likes

Start engine in Park while the garage door is opening.
Back outo the street without depressing the accelerator.
Place in DRIVE with emergency brake applied while I cleaheadights.
Under load instead of free idling presumablyvould speed engine warming.
Idle moves the vehicle to the STOP sighalf a block away before depressing the accelerator.

Probably. Probably a fortune.
The cheap thrift store skillet works well and gently warms everything!
The thrift store bed sheet draped over the front keeps theat in.

Heh, heh, I tried something similar, in ‘67, delivered pizzas. Our franchise provided base model six cylinder Fairlane Wagons.
Pizza box in front of radiator. On a return trip, nosed it up against a telephone pole, ebrake on, engine running gear, while I picked up the next order. Still those wagons were cold in Mpls winter.
Only tried that once, nothing got them warm.

1 Like

:smack:

1 Like

wow. wow. wow

Oh yes, so much better than spending <$100 for an engine block heater.

3 Likes

What an F’n stupid thing to do, is the only thing I can think to say.

5 Likes

My diesel would never get up to operating temp in the winter without putting cardboard in front of the radiator. Brrrrr.

Haha I clicked on your profile and saw your signature quote Wherever Gift goes, argument follows.

Gotta respect the desire to upset the all too-earnest apple cart that is the cartalk crew with a bit of humor, but unfortunately you’ve tripped yourself up - your headlights wouldn’t require cleaning if you were parked in the garage.

1 Like

Sorry , no respect is warranted for RG’s brand of humor and dangerous practices.

There are just too many people who might try some of his goofy ideas .

2 Likes

It’s self selection. Where Darwinism & Creationism converge. It’s almost blasphemous to intervene.

2 Likes

your headlights wouldn’t require cleaning if you were parked in the garage.

Arriving home often after midnight, (now 1155 p.m. after a 107-milemergentransport) (230 mile round trip) I am usually too tired and it is too cold to clean theadlights and light bar.
When departing on another medical transport I clean while warming thengine.
The Lexus electric brake has always worked perfectly at keeping the vehicle fromoving in idle.

My first car, 1961 Volvo 544, came with a standard roller blind which was pulled up againsthe radiator via a chain athe dash.
Also helped keep the car warmer when driving on especially cold nights.

Is this the same Lexus that you claim to put the thrift store skillet underneath the sump of? The Lexus that has a plastic underbody engine sheild? The one that also has a sheet draped over the lights and light bar every night? That one?

1 Like